What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROC bunkers

Is it just me, or is the world going mad???

I have visions now of some would-be vandal breaking into one of these and getting hurt - then claiming on one of these 'no win, no fee' sites. I find it total madness!!

regards Kev

Trust me on this pal,the world is going mad......:tinysmile_angry2_t:

On the question of these Bunkers,i think they are only useful for land development?
waff

Another one

Thought i would add some pics of another post i visited recently. This post is in a reasonable state retaining a lot of the original features including a set of steps and platform behind the hatch that i have not seen before. Access is blocked by a locked hatch but there was enough room to get a camera in to take the shot of the ladder way. you can see the counter weight for the hatch hanging on the chain below.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• ROC Post  SW.jpg
    ROC Post SW.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 74
  • ROC Post SW2.jpg
    ROC Post SW2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 78
  • ROC Post SW4.jpg
    ROC Post SW4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ROC Post SW3.jpg
    ROC Post SW3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 74
Another ROC Post

While i am at it here is another one on the edge of Dartmoor, fairly local to me. This one sold at auction about 5-6 years ago, I did go and look at it when it was up for sale and it is in remarkable condition inside, very well sealed with no entry, this post is in private hands although not well loved by the look of it. I think from memory this was a command post.

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• latest pics 001.jpg
    latest pics 001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 52
  • latest pics 002.jpg
    latest pics 002.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 53
  • latest pics 003.jpg
    latest pics 003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 59
Veryan ROC Post

Well as i went for a little walk this afternoon to have a look at this post i thought i would share it, just to add to the growing list.
This is very well preserved and locked up, situated on a headland in deepest darkest Cornwall, it is open to the public on a few days a year and your guides are the ex Royal Observer Corp members that manned the post i believe.

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Veryan ROC 03.jpg
    Veryan ROC 03.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Veryan ROC 02.jpg
    Veryan ROC 02.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 40
  • Veryan ROC.jpg
    Veryan ROC.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 42
South Devon ROC Post

Hey all,
One more ROC post that i went hunting for today, Local to me again but location withheld as is in really good original condition with no vandalism or damage at all. Seems to be a little smaller than most of the others i have seen.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• S.Devon ROC 03.jpg
    S.Devon ROC 03.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 57
  • S.Devon ROC 02.jpg
    S.Devon ROC 02.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 58
  • S.Devon ROC 01.jpg
    S.Devon ROC 01.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 56
Bampton ROC Post

Just thought i would update this thread with another post that i visited last week while up Exmoor way. Had no torch with me so did not venture inside and have been in plenty to know what they are like, this one appeared to be quite damp. Looks like someone has taken an interest in it or at least the hatch cover that has had a new coat of paint. The gate still stands but the GZI mount has been pushed off its stand,
Best regards Weasel.

Bampton ROC Post 02.jpgBampton ROC Post 04.jpgBampton ROC Post 05.jpgBampton ROC Post 06.jpgBampton ROC Post 07.jpg

I co-caretake/own a restored one of these in sussex, we open it about 4-5 times a year for public visits. My friend and I have visited absolutely shite loads of these posts over the past few years, roadtripping is fun :D

See www.rocremembered.com i think we are at about 700+ visited now. If you want to know when this years open dates are and which post it is then drop me a PM. Or if you want to know more about them, i have loads of artifacts and equipment and photos

In case you figure out which post it is we strip it after every visit and store all the stuff securely under lock and key!

Thanks Darren, i have always had an interest in all things underground and it seems that these posts tend to dissapear so thought i might grab a picture or two of the ones i get to see on my travels around with a van full of wine. Edward thanks for the link it's good to know that at least some are being well looked after and open to the public.
Managed to get to visit this one today, Par ROC post down in the depths of Cornwall, well locked up with two padlocks and in overal good condition as far as the surface remains go. Most of the concrete fence posts still remain, but all fencing and the gate are gone.
Best Weasel.

Par ROC Post 01.jpgPar ROC Post 02.jpgPar ROC Post 03.jpgPar ROC Post 05.jpg

I know the owner of par and have the codes for the padlocks, its good inside, dry but completely empty apart from some chairs and cupboards and some beds and minor stuff like that

Plympton ROC Post

Thank you Edward for the info, will let you know next time i am down that way.
This last couple of weeks i have been to find two more posts, the first one is Plympton, this was on waste land for quite a while and was heavily vandalised and had a fire started inside it. The post is now situated in a rather plush golf course, well not that the post has moved but the area has at last been redeveloped. The hatch has been well secured and a mix of the contents is thrown on top inclueding the beds and grill from the sump along with lots of other bits and bobs, fantastic views of Plymoth sound and surounding area from up there.
Best Weasel.

Plympton ROC Post 01.jpgPlympton ROC Post 02.jpgPlympton ROC Post 05.jpgPlympton ROC Post 06.jpgPlympton ROC Post 007.jpgPlympton ROC Post 08.jpg

Tiverton ROC Post

Here is another post i visited in the last week, this is Tiverton ROC post and rather chilly up on the top of this hill. In private ownership and with a long aerial mounted through the BPI mount. Well locked with no access.

Tiverton ROC 03.jpgTiverton ROC 04.jpgTiverton ROC 05.jpg

Last edited:
Millbrook ROC Post

I thought it was about time to update this thread with a couple of new pictures taken this summer, first post is Millbrook ROC and is a Master Post, a large compound with the remains of a orlit. The ground has been recently cleared as this post was almost hidden from view before.
Best Weasel
Millbrook ROC 01.jpgMillbrook ROC 3.jpgMillbrook ROC 2.jpg

Madron ROC Post

The second one i visited on this trip was Madron ROC, also a master post and also again a large compound, this post was tucked away up a dead end lane and is externaly in good order although the post itself looked to be quite wet.
Best Weasel.

Madron ROC 2.jpgMadron ROC 3.jpgMadron ROC 1.jpg

Goran ROC Post

Been off out again and came across this ROC Post in deepest Cornwall, this one is Goran ROC. in a rather muddy field close to the farm buildings. i did not get access but it is rather wet inside, not much left of the fence.
Best Weasel.

P1050762.jpgP1050752.jpgP1050756.jpgP1050757.jpg

Last edited: