What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROC bunkers

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Has anyone noticed the dramatic increase of ROC bunkers up for sale. Is there a change in ownership legislation coming in or something?

I wasn't thinking of buying one, that would probably be the last straw for my wife!

Been Googling these bunkers.. Pretty neat!

Want to know more.
Were they built by the government? On gov property?
Are they still "good" for a nuke?

Want to know more.

Apparently, the crew were supposed to be able to survive for a short period long enough to communicate the readings to a main bunker. Built by the British government at the start of the cold war and manned by a unit known as the Royal Observers Corps, staff volunteers made from branches of the RAF I believe. They wore a similar uniform to the RAF also.
Not sure of the effectivness of the filters etc as they were decomissioned between 91 and 95 I think.

Some are on the Peak district which include the land above which would be quite nice, others are a bit bad condition that I have seen.

Also, battery power only!

Want to know more.

The posts were built by the Home Office.

I'd imagine that when they were decommissioned the land they were built on was sold back to the original land owner at a rock bottom price.

The monitoring post offered protection from fallout (although they seem to have had no filtering for the air supply), many are in a poor state of repair, they have a tendency to flood and a number have suffered from vandalism over the last 40+ years since decommissioning began.

Hi Pointblank,
I happend to stop and look at one of these this afternoon, not up for sale though. I did look at buying one about 9 years ago and wish i had now as it went very cheaply, and was fairly local to me. A few around my area have been demolished by the farmers :( when the land was returned to them. Always interesting to have a look when you see one, some remain in a very well preserved condition.

Best Weasel

A few picture of the one i went to today, err i mean i was hard at work.

Attachments

• ROC Berry Head.jpg
    ROC Berry Head.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 121
  • ROC Berry Head 2.jpg
    ROC Berry Head 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 112
  • ROC Berry Head 3.jpg
    ROC Berry Head 3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 109
post_diagrame.gif

Cutaway drawing of a typical ROC underground post-in this case a "Master Post" on a cluster equipped with radio for the relay of reports in the event of telephone breakdown.

1. Ground Zero Indicator
2. Survey Meter Probe Unit Cover
3. Bomb Power Indicator Unit Cover
4. Air Vent
5. Pneumatic Aerial for radio set
6. Radio Set
7. Bomb Power Indicator
8. ROC Fixed Survey Meter
9. Radio Head Set
10. Loud Speaker Telephone
11. Carrier Receiver
12. Pump for Pneumatic Aerial
13. 12 Volt Battery
14. Toilet

Source: Attack Warning Red, The Royal Observer Corps and the Defence of Britain 1925 to 1992. Derek Wood

Hi Pointblank,
I happend to stop and look at one of these this afternoon, not up for sale though. I did look at buying one about 9 years ago and wish i had now as it went very cheaply, and was fairly local to me. A few around my area have been demolished by the farmers :( when the land was returned to them. Always interesting to have a look when you see one, some remain in a very well preserved condition.

Best Weasel

A few picture of the one i went to today, err i mean i was hard at work.

Thanks for the pic. Looks in quite good nick. I only knew about these from a few years back when one was up for sale I think on the North Yorkshire Moors or somewhere similar for 14K. I must admit, I was tempted, as I am quite a keen walker and it would have been ideal for trips out. I live about 200 miles away from there though so wouldn't have been able to keep an eye on it or pump it out when it floods etc.

On large scale maps the compound/enclosed area IS shown, marked WMP ((UK) Warning and Monitoring Post).

That's quite interesting. I understand that the bunkers also came with a tin hut about 15' across on ground level, that housed bits and bobs. I suppose obvious visual things have to be included on maps or people would ask why not?

bunker

There used to be an old WW11 observer corp building near where I lived and it got demolished many years ago but they left two manhole covers behind well padlocked behind a high wire fence. Now I can guess what it is. Thanks, 2pr.

That's quite interesting. I understand that the bunkers also came with a tin hut about 15' across on ground level, that housed bits and bobs. I suppose obvious visual things have to be included on maps or people would ask why not?

The shed was not a standard feature on ROC sites, many monitoring post were sited on former above ground ROC sites so they can often be found in conjunction with pillboxes/Orlit posts etc.
The local post to me had a meticulously kept lawn and green painted wooden gate!

ROC post Gunton.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Falcon,
The one pictured has not been filled in, but there is no access. the hatch is very well locked.
Weasel.

The shed was not a standard feature on ROC sites, many monitoring post were sited on former above ground ROC sites so they can often be found in conjunction with pillboxes/Orlit posts etc.
The local post to me had a meticulously kept lawn and green painted wooden gate!

View attachment 28189

I take it that the one pictured is on land that still belongs to the MOD then? Or does it belong to a very tidy farmer?

Try this one.

There are many of these "observation posts" around the country and the site with the most information/pictures on them is ;;-

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/group_hq.html

A fantastic site for all things bunker like !

Like all interesting things these "bunkers" are rapidly disappearing from our country as farmers rid their fields of obstructions or houses get built on areas where these used to be.

We had two locally, one has been filled in and is now somewhere under a very large field and the other fell into a gravel pit where it has been overfilled so you would not even know it had been there.

Great piece of history which, as with WW2 pillboxes, will only become more appreciated as time goes on and most of them have been destroyed:tinysmile_angry_t:

Taking on one is a big responsibility. Urban Explorers regularly break into them and the standard thick Home Office padlocks that were put on them when they were decommissioned in 1991 is often easily jemmied off and the inside of the bunker trashed. More importantly, with current stiff health & safety legislation, if you own it and somebody breaks in and falls down the shaft/gets trapped etc etc you as the owner have a bond of responsibility and will get legally/financially shafted:tinysmile_angry_t::tinysmile_angry_t:

............. More importantly, with current stiff health & safety legislation, if you own it and somebody breaks in and falls down the shaft/gets trapped etc etc you as the owner have a bond of responsibility and will get legally/financially shafted:tinysmile_angry_t::tinysmile_angry_t:

Is it just me, or is the world going mad???

I have visions now of some would-be vandal breaking into one of these and getting hurt - then claiming on one of these 'no win, no fee' sites. I find it total madness!!

regards Kev