What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BD/UXB related stuff

Nice collection! Thanks for posting.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention during part of EOD school or during my years in EOD, but I missed the part where there were pictures of undressed girls!

Wondered if anyone would spot that! - Its a sketch by French-Canadian artist Hugh Cronyn.
He came to the UK and following the outbreak of war was commissioned into the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve and volunteered for bomb disposal. Subsequently posted to Bristol Dockyard.
He got the George Medal for working on a UXB that lodged in the hold of a tanker, the SS Chesapeake, out in the Bristol Channel. They removed the fuel, but the fumes were so toxic he had to work on the bomb with a wooden box over his head that had air fed to it through a hose. His memoir mentions he performed ‘a little 40 minute ceremony’ on each of the two fuzes to make it safe.
Strange the navy had no diving equipment for him, yet a Royal Engineer in London found a deep sea diver’s suit with brass helmet to wear whilst working on a bomb inside a gasometer.

Very interesting. Thanks for showing. It's good that you are keeping the memory of those wartime bomb disposal people alive. They had a very difficult job, I guess pretty much like some Ukrainians are having to do now.

Good evening ,
I have this tin over 20 years in my collection , it came from a WW2 EOD technician who said it was a part of the Stevens stopper set for stopping the clockmechanism of 17A and 17B fuzes , the meaning should be " Bomb Disposal Sugar " but the story goes that the sugar was used in the "afternoon" tea . Wright or wrong , looking out for reactions .
best regards , Seppe .

Attachments

• DSCN0798.JPG
    DSCN0798.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0800.JPG
    DSCN0800.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0802.JPG
    DSCN0802.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
Hi Seppe,
Yes, you are correct - they changed from sugar to a less palatable mixture.
In the book 'Danger UXB', Les Clarke of 3 Bomb Disposal Company says 'The sugar ran low at times, and we found out that some of the lads were taking it for the tea. When the authorities heard about this, they sent us down a brown treacly fluid which was no good for tea. The lads tried that.'
Screenshot 2024-10-06 082539.jpg
I've heard they had a problem with US Navy submariners drinking alcohol from torpedoes and they put something in it to make it undrinkable - (Just googled this -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice#:~:text=Torpedo%20juice%20is%20American%20slang,United%20States%20Navy%20torpedo%20motors. )
maybe