What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Proximity Fuze, What Type?

Darren

A new addition to my fuze collection, a WW2 proximity fuze. Bit unusual as it has no markings/stampings so i am not sure exactly which type it is? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi Darren, are you certain it's WW2? Yours has a yellow colour code and from its construction looks like it might be a little later than WW2. I'm wondering if it's 1950s / 1960s but unfortunately cannot confirm that. See http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...this-cutaway-fuze/page4?highlight=ripple+beat for other info. Matthew

Hi Matthew,

The colour is green, I think it is just the photo that makes it look yellow. These were developed during WW2 in the US but I am not sure what year they stopped production? If I can find out what model number this fuze is that may help.

Darren

Last edited:
Darren

The fuze is a late WWII or late 1940s. Green cellulose was used on many of the first VT fuzes and yours is typical in color. The antenna cap on yours is typical of the earliest fuzes so I would guess that it's a variant of the MK 45 or MK 58 USN type, or possibly one of the MK 173 rocket types. It appears to have a 2"x12TPI thread which was standard on those fuzes. It is missing the AuxDet which would have been a MK 44, probably.

A very nice condition fuze. I wish it was mine and I hope someone can pin it down further for you.

Ray

Last edited:
Darren

The fuze is a late WWII or late 1940s. Green acetate is what was used on many of the first VT fuzes and yours is typical in color. The antenna cap on yours is typical of the earliest fuzes so I would guess that it's a variant of the MK 45 or MK 58 USN type, or possibly one of the MK 173 rocket types. It appears to have a 2"x12TPI thread which was standard on those fuzes. It is missing the AuxDet which would have been a MK 44, probably.

A very nice condition fuze. I wish it was mine and I hope someone can pin it down further for you.

Ray

Thanks Ray for the information, that is a great start. The missing part I will be on the look out for, hopefully someone will have a spare as it really would be great to complete this fuze.

Darren

Darren

Finding an AuxDet "on the loose" may be a real challenge. If you have a friend with a lathe, he can make a good replacement in only a few minutes. It can be used until the real thing comes along.

Ray

Thanks for the info Ray. I hope Darren can find the bit he needs. I read somewhere that ground based artillery firing at moving aircraft in WW2 averaged about 8,000 rounds to shoot down one aircraft but that proximity fuzes reduced it to about 800 rounds to shoot down one. The skill of the crews, range finding and the aircrews' evasion tactics must have varied these figures a fair bit too.