What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Box per Cartucces!!

MikeS0000

Wooden Box per Cartucces??!!

Hello Folks -

Latest find (I love these old boxes and they make for great bayonet storage) at the local Antique Mall. A box "PER CARTUCCE."

I believe it is Italian, and looks to have been attached to some sort of caisson or wagon. But I am unsure of the age. I believe it has been repainted at some point as under the canvas on the lid are traces of gray paint. Construction is kind of unusual as it is mortise and tenoned in the top and bottom and these are held together with wooden pegs. I've seen this on old German Immigrant Trunks. The latches almost look hand-forged, but there is metal reinforcement at the corners. Old canvas cover on the lid, held by a deteriorating leather band.

Only mark I can find is the "Crown over AP" on the inside of the lid.

Appreciate ant thoughts!

Little Update - From the Gunboards/Italian Firearms Forum, it is a cartridge box used on a pack saddle/animal.

- Mike

Attachments

• Cartucce1.jpg
    Cartucce1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Cartucce3.jpg
    Cartucce3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Cartucce2.jpg
    Cartucce2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: