What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is this

SG500

Premium Member
I know its a long shot, I was sorting through some old family photographs and came across this one.
Does anyone know where it is? What sort of aircraft?
There seem to be ships in the background possibly military,
Found in the possessions of my late Father in Law, who just missed the war, starting his National Service more or less when it ended so this photo likely to be mid to late 1940's.
Thanks
Dave.

Attachments

• 20240628_204729.jpg
    20240628_204729.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 71
The aircraft seems to be an Avro Lancaster, so the location is in ETO.
Probably Norway or Scotland.

But if the aircraft is a B24 maybe everywhere.

Attachments

• 20240628_204729.jpg
    20240628_204729.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 43
There was a version of the Lancaster used as a civilian airliner in South America, post war (war, in this case being WW2), but the 'blob" out by the wing tip looks more like the tail of a B-24. If it was a Lancaster/Lancastrian the tail would be more to the right (viewer's right) on top of the end of the fuselage.

Apropos of nothing, the line of buoys is interesting, to hold anti-submarine or anti-torpedo nets????

It could be South Africa. S A air force flew the Shackleton, which the subject aircraft could just about be. The terrain is not dissimilar to the area around Cape Town ( simonstown naval base )

Thanks for your ideas guys much appreciated.
About all I know about his army days is he ended up in India, who knows where else he went, I just wish I'd asked.
Dave.

I'm a full member on ancestry. PM me name etc and i can have a look for any service records available for you mate.