What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V2 rocket part?

Ringo

Love the new site.

I have been detecting where a V2 rocket came down and killed 2 people. Anybody any idea whether this could be a part? Unusually, it is sprayed black and is very heavy. The number 7 is different, too. Thanks

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

update. Someone may find information useful

Traced these

V-2 Power Plant and Rocket Engine Drawings, 1943-1945Title: V-2 Power Plant and Rocket Engine Drawings, 1943-1945Phy. Description: 1.09 cubic feet (1 records center box)Bio / His Notes: The V-2 was a short-range ballistic missile designed by Germany for use against Southern England in 1944-45. The missile carried a 2000 lb. (910 kg) conventional warhead at supersonic speeds. The vehicle was fueled with sufficient alcohol and liquid oxygen for c.65 seconds of powered flight, giving a maximum range, including unpowered ballistic trajectory, of c.220 miles (352 km). A number of V-2s were captured intact by the Allies and used for rocketry experiments in the late 1940s. In addition, the V-2 design team, headed by Werner on Braun, was captured by the United States Army and returned to the United States, where it formed the core of the Army Ballistic Missile Agency and National Aeronautics and Space Administration launch vehicle design teams.Summary: This collection consists of engineering drawings for the V-2. The material consists of a complete set of production blueprints for the V-2 rocket powerplant and directly related accessories. The drawings are identified as 'Engineering Records File Copy' (in English).General Note: Access note: Only eight of the drawings have been translated.Restrictions: No restrictions on accessSubject-Topical: Ballistic missilesV-2 rocketRocketryAeronautics, MilitaryWorld War, 1939-1945Rockets (Aeronautics)AeronauticsSubject-Name: Von Braun, Wernher, 1912-1977Form / Genre: DrawingsBlueprintsRepository Loc: National Air and Space Museum, Archives Division, MRC 322, Washington, DC, 20560Local Number: 1987-0089

at The Smithsonian and still trying to find out whether I can access info online

got here so far:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/

they say on site: we'll be happy to help.

Photos here:

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/others/iwm.html

Re colours, haven't found anything specific except the numbered part is sprayed matt black

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/markings.html

[SIZE=-1]SCHEME 1 - The Gebatikt (Batiked) pattern, using 5 colors: Cream White, Earth Grey, Oxide Red, Olive Green and Chocolate Brown. This scheme was sprayed and was simular to many traditional camouflage patterns.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SCHEME 2 - The Geflammt (Wavy) pattern, using only three colors: Cream White, Earth Grey and Olive Green.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SCHEME 3 - The Gezackt (Ragged) pattern, using the same three colors as scheme 2. Actually, there were two versions of this ragged scheme. The second version bacame the most popular, and was adopted in March of 1944. Cream White was replaced with Signal White and the ragged pattern simplified. Of the surviving photographs showing A4/V2 rockets using the ragged camouflage scheme, the majority of these are the later ragged scheme-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Later, during the last months of the war, A4/V2 rockets were painted a solid color of RAL 7009 Greenish-Gray or Grn/Grau (Official German document about RAL-7009 is the "Bauzustand" from January 1945 - Olaf Przybilski).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The colors were the same colors used by the German Army throughout WWII. The eight RAL Reichsausschuss fr Lieferbedingungen (Government Committee for Specifications) colors were identified by number as:[/SIZE]

Hi Ringo,
The more I look at your first two photo's,the more they remind me of one of a pair of oil seal retainers like you would get on a crank/timing chain case for the top/crank pully on a large engine such as a lorry,tank ect.
Don't know the first thing about pulse engines but if they had a 'drive' of some sort going through a casing it could be a place to look for an id of your part?

A.T.B
Tony

The first item reminds me more or less a bearing shell half / shaft seal housing half rather than a rocket part. Also the marking sounds more British than German.
The second item might be of German origin - as well as anything else.
Third item, no comments.

Thanks very much for the replies. Went back to the site but only managed to pick up loads of aluminium (rather than brass) so no proof yet. Will try again soon

The Smithsonian replied with the below which surprised me since their online catalogue states they have the documents:

I have spoken with our curator for German rockets, and unfortunately, we have no way of tracking V-2 part numbers. You may wish to try contacting the Imperial War Museum, though we are not sure they would have any information:

UK: Imperial War Museum (Duxford)
Duxford Airfield
Cambridge CB2 4QR
United Kingdom

Phone: 0223 035000
URL: www.iwm.org.uk/duxford.htm
Online contact form: http://www.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.64

Thank you for your interest in the National Air and Space Museum.

Pipe work fitting perhaps ?

The first item may be a fuel line connector as there would have been a lot of pipework in one of these bombs.

As for the rest of the items I have no idea.
Interesting finds !

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Will research. Here's another thingy that may belong to the V2. Very light

006-1.jpg

014.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:
Last item is part of a plate out of a lead / acid battery. crumpled aluminium bit looks strangely familiar, but just can't recall where I have seen it before - not much help - sorry! However both looked sufficiently deformes to have ben involved in some sort of impact!

The last picture looks like it may well be a "Plate" froma small Lead acid battery.

The two other items may just conceivably be capacitors ?

Cheers, Chris! Would agree with the plate idea, thanks. Any idea what would need a small, lead acid battery?

Capacitors is a good suggestion, too! Awfully big?

Here's a couple of other things that may be parts. The first one is a broken letter A

The second I thought was a part of a fuze but it has a rubber ring to hold in pressure

Any ideas?

002-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

017.jpg

026-1.jpg

The last item looks very much like a petrol can filler cap probably made from a zinc compound judguing by the corrosion.
A sfor the broken "A" what material is it made from please???

Thanks for the reply, Chris. The A is made from some kind of alluminium or alloy (I'm not an expert). It is very difficult to bend

somemore bits:

very heavy,small holes in one side, bigger holes in the other:

018.jpg

020.jpg

see others posted in this thread:

023.jpg

heavy,filled with lead (I think)

025.jpg

The piece with lots of holes in it small on one side and larger on the other #16, could that not be part of an injector plate for a rocket engine ?
Best regards Weasel.

There is a sectioned V2 in the Imperial War Museum.

It might be worth a visit to have a look at.