What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USN 3"/50cal. Shell-Light - Project Update

MikeS0000

Well, in between the "chores" I had a chance to have at it in the garage. Some good, some not so good and some interesting finds!

There is a photo of the headstamp below. It is dated 8-17 which was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Marked 3in50cal. and the makers marks which are beyond me. As you can see two of the bolts broke off during dis-assembly. One I've managed to get the end out and the other will be a 'drill' (ugh) job.

The shell was a shocker. Came out easy and you can see why. Someone turned the lower section down and about 1/2" of the band. At least it was easy to get out, but someone really, really made a project out of this. The wood base is close to 3-1/2"s thick. What is funny is why there is rust on all the bolts and projectile, but the wood is very fresh???

I've written to PERKO to see if they might id the lamp, so hopefully the respond. Would be interesting if it was period or near the shell. Oh yes, just an fyi... the rig was $50. Timewise, more than that going into rework!! :tinysmile_shutup_t2

Thanks for looking! More later...

- Mike

Attachments

• 100_3540.jpg
    100_3540.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_3541.jpg
    100_3541.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_3539.jpg
    100_3539.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Good job stripping it down.
Looking at it now I think well worth putting it back to how you got/had it.
Just a bit of TLC, elbow grease & cans of Bud needed!!
If you can get some history on the light assy as well even better.
For your sheared studs `Snap On` do a tool that drills & removes sheared bolts/studs. Otherwise just re-orientate & drill & thread new ones? try Stainless Steel though.
As to rust issue - may depend on the type of wood or if it has been replaced already also alow for galvanic action btween different metals. If this has come from near the coast/sea then the local atmosphere would add to the reactions of the metals.
good luck & keep us posted

Mike

Now that we know the case is an old original, I think it's safe to assume that the projectile is too. I'd guess that the case is a MK3 and the projectile is a Common MK27. The projectile could also be a Target projectile which was the same as the Common only with a sand or inert filler, and a plug fuze.

WNY is likely Washington Navy Yard and JHG and VKC are the inspectors initials.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Ray

Thanks Guys!

Have dis-associated the shell from the lamp and it gets even a bit more strange. I think the top has been cut and drilled for the lamp, but the rest makes me wonder. There are three threaded holes in the top part of the shell and two un-threaded holes in the portion that has been turned down. The bottom of the 'turned down section has been nicely rounded and finished, and... there is a chrome/nickle plating on the turned down section???

The manner in which it has been turned down shows a cross section of the shell and driving band assembly. Do you think it possibly it was a display to show this view? I 've got another 75mm shrapnel shell that is sectioned in the usual way, but I see no purpose (lamp-wise) to do this. If anything I would have thought they would leave the band intact and leave a not turn down section for the lamp just below the band.

Just some ramblings... :tinysmile_grin_t:

Anyhow, I believe I will hit the shell with the bead-blaster, it is pretty rough and I'll give it a light shot to see how it cleans up. And, oh yes, on the lamp, so far I've pinned it down to pre-1940s.

Best regards!
- Mike

Attachments

• 100_3543.jpg
    100_3543.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_3542.jpg
    100_3542.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_3544.jpg
    100_3544.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Mike

I noticed the holes in the projectile body but assumed they were to identify it as inert. But, if they are threaded, they must have been for some other purpose. The turned down portion and holes in it are curious. Maybe the owner had another project in mind and changed course in mid-stream?

If you clean the rust off the projectile body, look closely for any stamping that could identify it positively. The stamping would be small and not very deep and it may be obscured by the rust. Or maybe gone completely.

Ray

Slow, but steady....

Ray, yes the holes in the projectile are threaded and I believe they were for a secondary set of lights that are long gone. So, another addition. It was probably a 3-way switch so you could have the ship light, the secondary light or both on at once. Still doesn't explain the turned-down and plated section though??

Have sand blasted the projectile and am cleaning up the masthead light. Here is a pic of the Bakelite socket. It has a Circle F logo I traced to a manufacturer that was in business from the 1910s to 20s. And the light is definitely pre-1940. So it is looking like a piece of WW1 Trench Art.

More later!
- Mike

Oh yes..., Hickey I drilled out the old bolt and re-tapped the hole in the shell without buggering everything up. Lots of fun drilling a hardened steel bolt out of a piece of brass!! :tinysmile_shutup_t2

Attachments

• 100_3612.jpg
    100_3612.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3579sm.jpg
    100_3579sm.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13