What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA export 37x94 case for Spain??

H

Hoeksel

I have this 37x94 case with a interesting re-stamp, found in Spain. Is it USA export for Spain? Anybody recognizes the re-stamp (T N3 and 43)?

Attachments

• 37 mm USA export.jpg
    37 mm USA export.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 72
yes it's russian, the letters are "TPZ" == Tula Cartridge factory. Very interesting headstamp. Maybe Russia exported the case to Spain during the civil war to help the communist side, but I am sure a 37x94R wouldn't have helped a lot :)

Last edited:
Russian did import these during ww1. This is one found frozen over there (Lithuania) has a Russian mark.
Looks the same so Russian sent left over ww1 rounds to Spain. Takes the typical WW1 PE&M projectile. Can you make out the original date on the case, sort of looks like 10-16?

Courtesy Highland Otter

Attachments

• USARussianExport1.jpg
    USARussianExport1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 35
  • USARussianExportHeadStamp1.jpg
    USARussianExportHeadStamp1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Yes, The USA "Pemcos", (is how they are called here) were sent to Spain by Russia and all of them remarked with Russian marks. They are not easy to find here, good item.

Poole Engineering And MAchinery Co sold both the 37 x 94r and the 37 x 134R ammunition to the imperial Russian Government during 1917 to 1918. The 37 x 134R was contract made for the 37 mm Mcclean Automatic cannon. the 37 x 94R was for the 37 mm Rosenburg M15 infantry gun and various navy guns. both weapons were sold to Spain about 1935 for use as "anti tank"guns. The 37 x 94mm case also for the 37 Hotchkiss and PS-1 tank gun. Some cases were reloaded and the base stamped with the reload center. It was also stenciled on the side with black ink loading data. Most of the original cases were also stenciled but not stamped on the base. You can also find these cases with Polish reload marks. The Spanish military salvaged almost all the 37 x 94R cases and used the projectiles in the later 37 x 250 German Pak 36 cases as target ammunition, Which really confuses things. I know of 2 of the PS -! tank guns being used as gate guards in Spain and one McClean Auto gun in a Spanish museum and one in a Finish museum.

I agree clearly to the Russian type style on my case, makes perfect sense. How about the mark 43? I assumed it relates to date, but I have no clue if that makes sense, the case being Russian.

judging by the other casing with the number 13 on it made in 1916 , the number is not a date maybe inspector #, lot, and so on but not a date.