What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Oerlikon WW2 Fuze ?

Weasel

Premium Member
Can anyone shed any light on this object for me, it came to me screwed into a fuze on top of a WW2 20mm Oerlikon projectile, it has a solid base with two cut outs on either side for a tool to grip and is open and hollow at the other end. It will screw into any standard brass fuze used on the shells although only if they are empty ie do not contain the focus plate etc.
There are no markings at all, sorry for the 1 picture if i can dig it out again i will give you some exact dimensions and a couple more pictures. I have not managed to find any reference to this anywhere and have had it for about 6 years now. The second picture shows it next to a US WW2 MkXXVI brass fuze body for scale.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Fuze Ident 02.jpg
    Fuze Ident 02.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Fuze Ident 01.jpg
    Fuze Ident 01.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
If you flip it over, so the thinner portion faces away from the fuze, will it still screw into the fuze body? It looks like a booster that would extend down into the main charge to set off the main charge. The one you have hasn't been loaded, so that is why it is open. Normally it would be filled with explosive that is covered with a thin metal plate, and the edges roll-crimped down to seal the plate over the HE.

Hi Hazord,
Thank you for your reply, it will not screw into the shell body as the thread is too small but does fit very snugly inside the fuze body.
Best Weasel.