What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Evening all,

Just after some thoughts (if any) on what this may be ?

Ordnance related???
Bronze > naval /marine???

Base diameter 5"
Height 4"
Material: Bronze
Weight ~1.5 kg
Inside thread: 11G Whitworth.
No stamps nor markings

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

BTW: The hole goes straight through!

Attachments

• Unknown-2a.jpg
    Unknown-2a.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Unknown-3a.jpg
    Unknown-3a.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 32
  • Unknown-1a.jpg
    Unknown-1a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Slightly bigger than the Milan J103 and K115 warheads, and they didn't have a hole near the back of the cone, plus it has that screw thread. Does the inside also taper in a cone shape (not obvious from the photo)? Not sure what the SS11 cone looked like but that too was integral in the warhead and the detonator was positioned in the front end of the Missile Main Assemblage (MMA), i.e. I don't think the cone had a screw thread. In what context was the item found?

Slightly bigger than the Milan J103 and K115 warheads, and they didn't have a hole near the back of the cone, plus it has that screw thread. Does the inside also taper in a cone shape (not obvious from the photo)? Not sure what the SS11 cone looked like but that too was integral in the warhead and the detonator was positioned in the front end of the Missile Main Assemblage (MMA), i.e. I don't think the cone had a screw thread. In what context was the item found?
Hi Ammotectxt,
After the 11G 3.5" BSP screw thread section, the inside tapers up approx. 1.5" to a solid cone tip - i.e. where the external outside hole passes through.
It came with a group of mixed military collectables - mostly trench art related items.
Cheers
Drew

After reviewing a number of old torpedo manuals, I believe it is an early (~1900s) dummy nose pistol for a test head

Diagram-1.JPG

The large 11G 3.5" BSP base screw thread accommodated a fake lead ballast primer, which then screwed into the test head.

The eye-bolt assisted in attaching the assembly into the test head (probably used for recovery as well?) - there is also a small grub screw insert to locked it into position and prevent it from unscrewing.

No serial numbers were stamped on these as one test head was supplied with every 2 x torpedoes.

If anyone has any related photos or more detailed information please post or PM me.
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Last edited: