What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Timer.

ron3350

I just found this unknown timer and hope someone can ID it and the use.
A hand -written note inside in old longhand (= pre 1960) says-

Delay Timer No1 Mk1
Stores Reference 12D/660
Dated 10/44
It has a 6 hour delay timer used with maritime markers.

Another had-written label stuck to the bottom says -No 450 Mk1.

Metal tin, screw-top without any stamps or label is 80mm high and 66mm wide.
Card lined tin and lid. Corrugated card liner at the bottom of the tin.

The brass timer is 60mm high and 66.5mm wide. No idea of the purpose for the 2 wires or clips at the top.
The lid lifts off and exposes the 6 hour delay mechanism.
Bottom is threaded for about 4mm .

Attachments

• Timer a.jpeg
    Timer a.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Timer b.jpeg
    Timer b.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Timer c.jpeg
    Timer c.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Timer d.jpeg
    Timer d.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Timer e.jpeg
    Timer e.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 33
The stores reference "12D/660" identifies it as an RAF store, the "12D" identifies it as ordnance related. Alas, I can't tell you what it is for.

TimG

p.s. (one of your countryman has a website showing numerous fuzes and I sure he has one of these. I don't remember the address)

And here :

Similar but 10 hours :

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equipment-field-gear/bomb-timer-no1-mki-12d-660-a-579656/

Ron, the fuze site is from Mark G in Brisbane. You bought some stuff from one of his auctions a few years ago.

I’ve seen your fuze on here before somewhere. I thinks it’s for an airdropped shipping mine/bomb?

Your item is a "Time delay Valve" used in an air delivered Marine Smoke marker. The delay timer is set before delivery, when the set time expires, the timer arm opens a small valve to allow sea water to enter the main body of the marker, the water in turn reacts with certain chemical compounds within the marker to create & generate smoke.

Page164.jpg

Attachments

• Page162.jpg
    Page162.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here is another, dated 4/44, in its tin. The small winding key is shown in the brass cap.
The Imperial War Museum had one in the gallery devoted to SOE and clandestine warfare, together with dark parachutes etc. Presumably the timer was a useful bit of kit that lent itself to purposes other than simple marine markers.
Alan1DSCN0900[1].JPGDSCN0901[1].JPG