What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Shell cases pre-WW1

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

Stumbled across a couple of interesting shell cases, which IMO have not been shortened, but I'm not familiar with them, especially the large diameter one:

Here are the specs:

1) Large diameter case:
Neck Diameter:~160mm case;
Length: 430mm
Base Diameter: 195mm
Observations: Has wadded closure slots (3 x lots), 1897 dated; "N" for naval(?), British broadarrow stamp; "CFF" full charge, case reloaded once.

2) Small diameter case: (3" derivative???)
Neck Diameter: ~72.3mm
Length: 34.9cm
Observations: Has a very slight neck, inside top has projectile insertion marks (see photo); 1907 dated

Thoughts?

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• SmallCase-4.jpg
    SmallCase-4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 33
  • SmallCase-1.jpg
    SmallCase-1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 39
  • SmallCase-2.jpg
    SmallCase-2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 68
  • SmallCase-5.jpg
    SmallCase-5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 33
  • LargeCase-5.jpg
    LargeCase-5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 49
  • LargeCase-1.jpg
    LargeCase-1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 50
  • LargeCase-3.jpg
    LargeCase-3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 74
  • LargeCase-1a.jpg
    LargeCase-1a.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 50
  • LargeCase-4.jpg
    LargeCase-4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 61
  • SmallCase-3.jpg
    SmallCase-3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi Drew ,

The #1 shell looks to be a 4.7" naval or coastal gun case,usually have a protruding primer.
Have seen a few round this neck of the woods as they were used up to/incl WW2 as coastal artillery.

cheers
Bob

Hi Bob,

Do you think #1 case has been shortened?

The diameter is 160mm, which is a fraction over the 6" mark, not 4.7"

You may be right and if it had a protruding primer, has been filled down perhaps explaining the lack of a clear primer definition.

Thank you.
Cheers
drew

The 6" QF Coast Gun case should be 152x404R195, your case is slightly longer. There is a 6" QF Coastal Gun L/50, but I do not know if it used shell cases (many 6" use bags) and what dimensions. L/50 could indicate a longer case - like yours.

The 2nd one is for the French M1897 field gun.

Hi ,
Yeah ,i was going more on the look of the case,and round- about measurements.
I would say it hasn't been shortened as the wad closure slots are present.I'll measure one of mine tomorrow and get back to you.

cheers
Bob

The big case is 6in calibre and has the primer cut off, should protrude! The long case was much longer. the tags show it is not shortened however there was new manufacture 6in cases and converted ie shortened long cases also they can stretch on firing,

Thanks 2pdr, yes it explains why I measured ~160mm rather than 152mm (6").

The other obvious question is how common are both these cases? It is the first 6" I have come across - ( similar to the 5.25" cases, there in an auction next week and considering if I should grab them or not for trade stock???)

Damn shame about the primer!!!

Cheers
Drew

well you did something new but by looking the pics it seems that these shell case are very old..or the stuff(material) was very old..

south-pak.com

The 6" QF Coast Gun case should be 152x404R195, your case is slightly longer. There is a 6" QF Coastal Gun L/50, but I do not know if it used shell cases (many 6" use bags) and what dimensions. L/50 could indicate a longer case - like yours.

Yes the case length is actually ~403mm not 430mm - can't even read my own scribble!!!

Cheers
Drew

That 6" Case is a very nice find. It's a shame about the primer. As Pounder says, the notches in the neck show that it wasn't shortened.

The first case is French. It is for the famous Canon de 75 modle 1897, known as the "French 75".

Hi Falcon,

Considering the age (1897) the case was in really top condition - apart from the heavy tarnishing (probably has never been hit with Brasso!) there were no dents or dings at all.

On a closer look, the primer as such, was not the original and therefore not filed down. Instead it appears that another "primer" was adapted to seal the primer hole for perhaps an obvious umbrella stand etc.

The original primer threads are visible from the inside.

Yes a very nice case indeed. As mentioned prior, I'm starting to become "amazed" at the stuff that has been turning up lately.....the 5.25" cases, the 2pdr HE PomPom Projectile + No121 fuse, even tracked down some tasty 15pdr "bits", but more on that at a later time
Cheers
Drew

Has that primer been soldered in place? If the case was mine I would remove it. I also think the cases that have never been touched with brasso look best.

The QF 6inch L/50 must also use a cartridge case (otherwise it would'nt be called "QF")
The L/40 gun used originally a longer case as in the Wiki photo for blackpowder. Looks about 650mm long. Can anyone correct that measurement for me?
This case that Dronic69 found is the cordite version. I was initially quite confused with the 430mm but now that anomally has been cleared up... it's 403mm