What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Projectile

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Anyone have any ideas? It's in the 37mm Range.

wording is:

W.M. Henny
May 1. 17
Burnham PA

Attachments

• IMAG0172[1].jpg
    IMAG0172[1].jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0173[1].jpg
    IMAG0173[1].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
Taking a SWAG and having gone through Gspragge's 37mm sticky in projectiles, it looks like what he has pictured as an 1897 Long Body, which has no crimping grove. Looks like someone has removed the base fuze and put a plug in and also they turned grooves in the rotating band for whatever esthetic reason, maybe to give it a little bit more grip when using it for a paper weight. Just a guess. Cheers, Bruce.

Does the base come off ? it might be screwed into the threads of the fuze hole and there might be markings on the base. It looks like a BSC type, not U.S. military issue as there is no crimp groove. How long is it below the band steel part only. The above reply might well be correct about the added ribs in the band. There is no reason for this in fixed ammunition.

OrdHut 1-1-11 052 (Small)_edited-1.jpg

Not sure if this is the same thing, but my "long body" example(3rd from the left) has a longer body. Are there TWO types(or more) of long bodies? Am anxiously awaiting the new 37MM book. Got a few things I need to identify.

Rick

Your long body type is a U.S. Navy Liquid tracer and has that style to hold more liquid (any U.S. Navy 37x136 case will do as they reloaded them dated the same or older- easy to find generally). The type of "long body" 1 Pdr type I have used the term for is a version of the U.S. standard 1 Pr. projectile body that is (or was because every example has the tip shortened back to the regular length) 1/8 of an inch longer above the band and is 1/8th of an inch longer below the band, which can still be measured. Total original length is 1/4 inch longer than the normal. These seem to exist only in 1897 & 98 for some reason. I don't think this is one of those. The lack of the crimping groove in the projectile (and markings on the band if Navy) indicates non military use, it might be a BSC projectile which will be marked on the base. There are also earlier unmarked projectiles that look the same too just to make it worse "no name" commercial examples.