What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown item

Chris

Ordnance approved
The attached photo is all I have no dimensions or anything else.
Item was found in Libie.
It looks Russian to me and I think air dropped (parachute).
It also looks like the legs can fould all the way up and then rest in the white plastic band.
On the top it looks like there is a piece of brown bakelite thing ???

Could it be some kind of sensor?

I hope someone can helps,

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Unknown item.jpg
    Unknown item.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 89
Just found out it's a mine from 122 mm Type 84 Mine Laying Rocket produced by Norinco.

Chris

It was actually a chinese type 84 mine.

The Type 84 is a Chinese scatterable anti-tank mine normally deployed by 122 mm artillery rockets. The mine consists of a cylindrical body with three prong legs that form a spike. Three variants of the mine exist: one with magenetic influence fuze, one with a self-extending tilt rod fuze, and another with a contact baffle. Upon ejection from its container, the mine deploys a small parachute which retards its descent. The three prong legs of the mine form a spike as the mine descends. If the mine strikes soft ground, the spike is driven into the ground and the mine is held upright. In addition the mine has an anti-handing device.
The mines warhead uses the Misznay Schardin effect the penetrate up to 110 millimeters of armour. The mines also have a self destruct facility which can be set to between 4 and 72 hours.
  • Diameter: 114 mm
  • Height: 160 mm
  • Weight: 3.12 kg
5693104011_dca422db34_z.jpg
5693104339_4474b7d5d6_z.jpg
tumblr_lksoc5ID7t1qd74g2.jpg
5693674234_0f312e26da_b.jpg
5693673230_13a3edbf1e.jpg

Willou,

Thanks a lot for THE information and the extra images.

Chris

Evidently the spike doesn't work too well when it lands on an asphalt roadway.