What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown inert projectile from the late 1800's

Nudelmannrichter

Hi folks,
I came across this inert projectile and wonder what this may be.
The principle looks similar to the French La Hitte types but in detail it's way different.
Material is cast iron, the "Buttons" seem to be a Zinc alloy.
Inside there was a cylindrical stack of sinlge shrapnels als made from cast iron, stacked around a container that was probably loaded with black powder for fragmentation.
The cap was fixed by 4 screws which seem to have been intended shearing off on fragmentation. These screws have an outer thread diameter of 7,5mm and a pitch of 19/inch.
This seems to be a realitvely uncommon thread, no Witworth or similar.
The fuze thread has a core diameter of roughly 26,5mm and a pitch of 7/inch. This looks also uncommon.
For the time I would consider this item has been made (about roughly 1865-1875), imperial sized threads were not unusual at all apart from France and Russia which both used metric.
The "fuze" itself looks more like a blank off plug and is made from massive wood with kinda felt band around and small hole which looks like intended for a safety pin. I am not sure if this wooden plug is old, but may well be. There is definitely no igniting system inside. Not a center hole at all.
I am curious from which army this might be or at least from which country. It might be a sample from a manfacturer or engineer for presentation purposes. Possible rejected and never commissioned.

It is always to consider if this may be a phantasy product of a skilled faker but on the other hand this would be quite complicated to make just for a piece nobody knows and nobody needs.

Anyways, maybe one of you experts has a clue what this is.
Thanks for reading!
Cheers, Nudel

1ak.jpg1k.jpg2k.jpg3k.jpg4k.jpg5k.jpg6k.jpg7k.jpg8k.jpg9k.jpg

Last edited:
Could be a real (or trial) shell.
This kind of design was used. For example (from H BELOT books) a Danish 12Pr shrapnel

Danish 12pr.jpg

Could be a real (or trial) shell.
This kind of design was used. For example (from H BELOT books) a Danish 12Pr shrapnel

View attachment 197203
ah, thanks, interesting. The outer shape you show is quite similar to the proportions of the La Hitte. But, right, the screws which hold the cap and how the shrapnels are arranged is similar to the specimen I showed. Caliber measurement is close enough. Ok shape of the cap and shape of the shrapnels are different. Yes, might be trial or different version. I wonder why one would cast special shrapnels if the ball was already invented. Packing density is higher but number of shrapnels and maybe weight of each shrapnel is lower. All right, I think I will look deeper into this Danish design and see what types there are. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I tried to find something in the Danish world. The page
provides a manual in Danish language from 1863 about the use of field cannons with rifled barrels.
Unfortunately no drawing of the projectiles there but a short description.
Apart from the description of the shell which is similar to the French La Hitte pattern and same time similar to the graphic you provided, MINENAZ16 and a bit to my photos, it states that the fuze (firepipe) had two side cuts for a wrench and that they used a blank off plug in same shape. Unfortunately the material neither of the fuze nor of the plug is mentioned but the plug on my photos seems at least to match the description roughly.
Here a Google translation of the relevant passage of the Danish manual. Hard to read but maybe easier than in Danish language:

3u_engl_annot.JPG