What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown demolition block

Antoon

Ordnance approved

Who can identify this demolition block.
The outside is sheet metal tin. On both side is a hole for a primer. Some blocks had detonating cord inside though the length of the block.
In the area where this blocks has been found are also excavated British Stengun magazines, 2 inch mortar rounds and hand grenades No. 77 and No. 82, but also German safety fuse igniters etc.

Attachments

• Afb0233-1.jpg
    Afb0233-1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 73
  • sk1-1.jpg
    sk1-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 65
  • sk2-1.jpg
    sk2-1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 60
  • sk3-1.jpg
    sk3-1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 60
  • sk4-1.jpg
    sk4-1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 42
Sir,
They look 3.5 X 10 inches? Where were they found?
Regards,
John

GP Grenades. Originally an SOE item but some were supplied to the Navy for use as necklace charges; the 14oz charge shown in Dave's site was developed from the GP grenade.

I could not agree with you more T42, here's some more pictures for you Antoon ,,,,, Dave.

HPIM5939.jpg HPIM5940.jpg HPIM5941.jpg HPIM5942.jpg

Agreed too Dave, I thought the recess was threaded. Shame. Is one of them a square section?

N,
Then it is a British Demoliton charge? or was.
Regasrds,
John

Found on Walcheren, battle area of 41, 47 and 48 Royal Marine Commando, 4 Special Service Brigade and 10 Interallied Commando, during the battle of the Scheldt estuary.

Its The Ultra Rare fuse You know, Just like the Body, i'm not sure what the correct name is for the fuse, perhaps you might know Norman.

Dave

Its The Ultra Rare fuse You know, Just like the Body, i'm not sure what the correct name is for the fuse, perhaps you might know Norman.

Dave

I don't know its proper name Dave, or if it had a Service designation. It is a Fuze, Sympathetic but after that it would just be a guess. The SOE technical people worked on a this sort of fuze but the only design I have seen was much larger and had a 'click diaphragm' (the design went to the US for development and one variant became their Concussion Fuze). The Admiralty Mining Department also designed a Sympathetic Fuze (counter-mining) but again this was larger than the example (in fact it was larger than the example and the GP Grenade together).

Last edited:
No Matter how hard i look Paul i just cannot find the 247 Mk3, you know it makes me wonder if thy ever existed perhaps some other member here has one to show us,,,,,, Dave

There we have it then, the No247 Mk3 fuse is just a piece of paper, until one turns up ????????? Dave

Hi Dave and Norman. I just remembered that i have a duch made No69 that has a Mk3 fuze!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Heres a few pics.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• 247mk3 fuze.jpg
    247mk3 fuze.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 247mk3 stripped.jpg
    247mk3 stripped.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11