What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 7,5 cm shell case

H

Hoeksel

Ok, a strange shell case once more (I like these).

French manufacture (Sc-Bx = Schneider Bordeaux), Chech fuze marked 7,5 cm Mod28m and the shell case is marked Sc-Bx, 1934, CM75mm Mod28, 3. Dimensions of the case 75x168R85.

I know of the Skoda M28 export for Yugoslavia that has the same rim diameter of 85 mm but is 174 mm high. So maybe it is a cut-down case (don't think so). There is also the Vickers 2.95" mountain gun with these exact dimensions.

Can anybody help me out here? I am mainly interested in the mix of French and Chech, and the meaning of CM.

Attachments

• Mod28.jpg
    Mod28.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 118
I know the primer is Skoda, maybe I mispronounced Chech ;-). Should be Czech. The case is definitely French made, but I agree the whole layout shouts export and not French use.

Do you know what type of AA gun? The case is very short for an AA gun I would think......and for what country?

I know the primer is Skoda, maybe I mispronounced Chech ;-). Should be Czech. The case is definitely French made, but I agree the whole layout shouts export and not French use.

didn't you mean Mountain Gun?? C.M. = Canon de Montagne?

Sc.Bx. = Schneider Bordeaux

didn't you mean Mountain Gun?? C.M. = Canon de Montagne?

Sc.Bx. = Schneider Bordeaux

Sounds believable, your explanation of CM. But this also indicates use in a French speaking country, like France or Belgium. On wikipedia I found a French used 75 mm French mountain gun......of model 1928!!! Now I just need to figure out what shell case goes with it and why the Czech primer and weird writing on the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_75_M(montagne)_modele_1928

My books also mention a Schneider Mle 1928 mountain gun, also sold to Poland and used by the Germans as a Geb K 238(f). It is a modernized version of the Mle 1919 mountain gun. It was also used in Peru, Colombia and Argentina.

So it is export, I now know some countries that used the gun, but I still do not get the Czech primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, my bad......yesterday I noticed this case is the same length as my 1929 dated Skoda export for the Yugoslav M28 mountain gun.........I put the wrong length in my list! So it is a 75x174R85 case.

Only mystery left is why Schneider-Bordeaux has made cases for a Czech export gun for Yugoslavia.

Serbia and later Yugoslavia always had good contacts to the french arms industry and bought a lot of things there. The possible reasons should not be very different than from today. Schneider offered the cases to the cheapest price, there were political/diplomatic reasons or the Schneider salesman was a good friend of the yugoslavian armys responsible person :tinysmile_shutup_t2