What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 30mm Drill/Armourers Round ?

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
I found this in a friends collection today and neither of us has any idea what it is, it is very heavy for it's size and appears to be made from one piece of metal with a brass wash on the case and projectile and a copper wash on the driving band.
I don't have any measurements as yet but did offer it up to a 30mm ADEN case and found this one to be about 8mm-10mm longer than the ADEN.
Has me stumped, anyone have any idea on this ?
Best regards Weasel.

IMG-20110710-00033.jpgIMG-20110710-00032.jpg

What is the stamping on the base? It looks like "58 DAC" but cannot be sure from the picture. If it is that then it is Canadian and I would venture some kind of tool cartridge for the ADEN, but that is not my area of knowledge.

Regards
TonyE

I think the stamp on the base reads GAC 53 it looks like an aden LV round of some sort .

It would be useful to see it pictured alongside an LV and HV ADEN case for comparison.

Regards
TonyE

Weasel what calibre is the projectile please ??

At first look I thought it may have been a 20 mm ADEN but I think not as the proportions are all wrong and the calibre looks like 25 MM ????????

Well interesting item you have there.

Thank you for all your responses, Harley you are spot on with 5 reversed 3 GAC as a head stamp, Tony and Chris as soon as i get a chance to go back and have a look at it i will measure it properly,while i was at my friends house i did not have anything at hand to measure it but a would think that you are not far wrong with a guess at 25mm Chris for the projectile diameter.
Best regards Weasel.

I think you'll find that GAC is Gloucester Aircraft Company . My father was on the team that designed the Javelin & I think these were made as souvenirs for staff . I had an identical one in the 1950's .