What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 303 headstamp

john_b

I can't find anything on these. Can anyone shed any light on them. 1st one Kings Norton 1913. With N/RA it has a mk3 head ..... No it's not NRA. 2nd one L-E 303 ... got me a bit stumped

Attachments

• 20240722_171241.jpg
    20240722_171241.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240722_204252.jpg
    20240722_204252.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 35
I have NRA for National Rifle Association (GB) as overstamp in my list, but small arms is not my field so no clue if that applies here.

The NRA is an overstamp, over the mark designation, in this case looks like a mark VI .303. Therefore the '/' in 'N/RA' is actually part of the underlying VI stamp. These were supplied as club ammunition to the National Rifle Association, up to the First World War.

The NRA is an overstamp, over the mark designation, in this case looks like a mark VI .303. Therefore the '/' in 'N/RA' is actually part of the underlying VI stamp. These were supplied as club ammunition to the National Rifle Association, up to the First World War.
Thanks so much for the info. It's something that I've never come across before. It has a mark 3 head. So it fits ..........thanks everso

Thanks so much for the info. It's something that I've never come across before. It has a mark 3 head. So it fits ..........thanks everso
What do you mean by "a mark 3 head"?

If you are referring to the bullet, could you show a photo of it, please.

If you are referring to the head of the case, as far as I can see it is the normal head of a Mk.VI or Mk.VII Ball round.

The Mk 111 had a hollow pointed projectile and is a rare item.
Head can mean the projectile (term used by non-collectors) or the base when referring to a headstamp.
Your cartridge just looks like a Mk V1 projectile for early target shooting for NRA?

Thanks ..........Well I've been re loading and shooting for 40 years and I've always bought heads didn't take such a good photo. But it's in a case now ( glass square) how's this

Attachments

• 20240727_170152.jpg
    20240727_170152.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 26
Hi, What you have there is a Mk IV or Mk V bullet not a Mk III as they had a cupro-nickel cup inserted in the top
Cheers
Andy

Last edited: