What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 3,7cm Projectiles

ehre_treue

account suspended
I recently recovered these and can't find any information on them. They have 3 brass screws in the head of the projectile, unsure of the purpose or use. The head screws into the body of the projectile. just under the threading from the head was a layer of some sort of paper. The inside of he head seams to be threaded, to allow the insertion of a igniter of some sort. One of the projectiles has lead shrapnell balls inside it. Included is a picture of a seperate head I found with a detonated igniter maybe it will help with ID.
_DSC0008.jpg_DSC0007.jpg_DSC0009.jpg_DSC0010.jpg_DSC0012.jpg_DSC0011.jpg

What you have is a french 37 mm Mle 1916 with fuzing GABA Mle 1918 (documentation coming from Mr Belot Henry)

Yoda

Attachments

• Obus1916.pdf
    370.4 KB · Views: 33
Ae, I shall try to explain it in english (it's not win!!!)

The three screws are the plugs of the centrifugal locks of the arming muffel. In the document, look on the second fuze.
In the document it's called "bouchon de verrou". On the first picture right, you can see they better (?!?!).

Yoda

Last edited:
Lead balls in these would serve no purpose other than weight which seems unnecessary. Perhaps fired empty as practice, not a type to tamper with once fired I think.
Interesting to note that both bands on these are split. I am looking for one like this with both split bands and matching 1918 fuze. My example and most examples have solid lower band from later 1930s.

Attachments

• 5356cbdd6bfaf617994025d34dfef1ad_2211.jpg
    5356cbdd6bfaf617994025d34dfef1ad_2211.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22