What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 1918

Phil58

Hi all, I am puzzled by this cartridge. It is stamped 1918 but apart from that I do not recognise any of the other markings. Can anyone enlighten me?
I have put it beside a 40mm Bofors shell for height. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Rim is 66mm external as I measured it, length is 172mm. I wondered if it was Italian or Spanish because of the faint stamp reading ‘officia’ or something.
I couldn’t detect what the ordnance mark is nor what country.
Be good if it’s Italian, my Grandad went to Italy for a few months in 1917 with the Royal Artillery to help fight the Austrians. Although if memory serves it turned out to be a waste of time because they were not equipped for fighting in the mountains so they returned to France.

Rim is 66mm external as I measured it, length is 172mm. I wondered if it was Italian or Spanish because of the faint stamp reading ‘officia’ or something.
I couldn’t detect what the ordnance mark is nor what country.
Be good if it’s Italian, my Grandad went to Italy for a few months in 1917 with the Royal Artillery to help fight the Austrians. Although if memory serves it turned out to be a waste of time because they were not equipped for fighting in the mountains so they returned to France.
I measured that wrong sorry!
The mouth is 66mm, the rim is 76mm. Do you know what gun would use this?