What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. M374A1 81mm Mortar with External Frag Pattern?

ordnance

Premium Member
OK, here's another odd one for the BOCN team to assist with.

When I first saw this mortar body, it appeared to be a Vietnam era M374 HE type with an external frag pattern roll-coined into the surface. But when looking closer, the original M374A1 markings were still visible. I figured if the surface was worked hard enough to raise cross-hatched ridges, the markings would have been smeared into oblivion.

The conclusion was the ridges were added onto the original surface via some sort of robotic welding process. I'm guessing the weld bead might have changed the heat treat characteristics of the body to help create fracture lines and a better frag pattern when bursting. Any other opinions?

I also noticed the end points of the weld beads near the obturator band added enough to the diameter that the shell wouldn't fit in a standard 81mm mortar barrel. So the piece either came out of the factory before a final sizing process or it wasn't intended to be a mortar round anymore. Perhaps a submunition application or something similar? An early COFRAM experiment just for burst tests? Thanks.

Rick

PICT1620.jpgPICT1621.jpgPICT1622.jpg

Hello Rick,

NICE 81mm mortar shell! I've never seen a U.S. mortar projectile body with that unique diamond pattern texture before. Cool...

Best regards,

Randall

They also made an M374A2 and A3 version. Also i found reference to an M374E5 whcih was an experimental design. That might be what you have.

Rick,

The normal M374 body is supposed to be made of pearlitic maleable iron. Not something to roll imprint or weld. Not sure what you have there.

I noticed the pattern above the band (upper body) are imprinted ... where the lower body has them extending ... this might be for testing to see what pattern got the best frag pattern?

I agree though, it is probably a testing round, I wouldn't even say experimental since (as noted above) it wouldn't fit down the barrel of the tube.

Interesting round, if someone else knows something, I would love to know about it.

Joe

Hello,

Just a thought but could the ridges be a test into aero dynamics to compliment the fin system, its just because the pits caused by the raised edges are a bit like having the pits on a golf ball.

Just a far out thought XD