What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

two very old rounds

al'saad

Ordnance approved
found these two yesterday.

on larger projectile driving band is made of led

on smaller projectile driving band is missing

dimensions can be seen on images

Attachments

• 1m.jpg
    1m.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 2v.jpg
    2v.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 87
  • 2m.jpg
    2m.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 83
  • 1v.jpg
    1v.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 71
The left shell is an austro-hungarian M.63 shell (system Lenk) for muzzle loading field guns with it's white metal jacket missing. The right shell is a 12-pr / 12 cm shell (prussian system M.61, the austrian designation I can deliver later) for breech loading guns which were used by the austro-hungarian army too.

the right shells austrian designation is "12 cm Granate M.61" just like the original prussian name...

two drawings:

Attachments

• M1863.png
    M1863.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 12 cm Granate 61.png
    12 cm Granate 61.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
thank you very much on info!
these are oldest items i have recovered since I am in EOD, and i believe some of the oldest explosive filled rounds recovered in bosnia and herzegovina.

why not find some cannon balls ;-) Older and with the same filling :)

If your 12 cm is closed with a zinc plug (can't see it) it should be inert. Fuzes would be made of iron and /or brass. Inert shells of that age (and type) found in germany are very often filled with peas.