What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two 'things'

smle2009

Hi to all,
looking for id on these two parts,the first is metal,has a hollow treaded stud in the base? overall length is 50mm(including the stud),diameter 20mm(stud end) and very obviously exploded.
The second is a very hard plastic?,diameter 13mm,depth 5mm and has a number four on the 'concave' part,others have various single numbers on them.
Have no idea about either of these but are some of those things that turn up regulary but I usualy over look them.
Both are 100% ordnance or related

Tony

Attachments

• P1110007.JPG
    P1110007.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 102
  • P1110008.JPG
    P1110008.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 89
  • P1110009.JPG
    P1110009.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 78
  • P1110010.JPG
    P1110010.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 95
  • P1110011.JPG
    P1110011.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 75
  • P1110012.JPG
    P1110012.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
76mm or 120mm Tracer units

The first item is either a 76mm ARMDC Tracer unit or a 120 mm BAT round Tracer unit of an early design.

As for the second item ???

If it is a two part made item that would make it a later model 120 mm Bat Tracer unit and a single item is the early one piece design.

Last edited:
Many thanks Chris,
how do these tracer units work? they seem to go off with quiet a force.

Cheers
Tony

Popped Tracer ?

Tony I think yours may have "popped" on hitting the target as I have a seen a few of these that seem to explode when the whole thing comes to an abrupt halt at the target, not sure what may cause it other than perhaps something occurs withing the tracer composition to create and enhanced burn rate, possibly something along the lines of the shock breaks up the Tracer compound allows Oxygen in and increases the burn rate dramatically-only a guess I am afraid.

Can you see if it is a one piece or a two peice model and roughly what thread diameter is that please?

Hi Chris,
it is one piece and the stud diameter is roughly 8mm( has ovaled slightly) and looks if it could be a L/H thread,but again could look that way due to damage.

Cheers
Tony

More info please Tony !

Hi Tony and yes it should be a Left hand thread so as to tighten on firing.
8 mm thread though-that has me a bit baffled as it is too small for the 120 mm BAT or the 76.2 mm ARMDC rounds.

Sorry to go on but what diameter roughly is the "tube" just above the larger diameter pleas ?

Hi Chris,
8mm was a generous measurement due to the damage of the stud,but it is no bigger than this,not to sure what you mean about about the tube above the larger diameter,would that be at the 'waist'? if so it is appox 16mm,but looks to me if it originaly 'flared' up to a larger diameter at the open end.

Tony

40 mm or something small

Hi Tony and thanks for the info !
Well it has me guessing again as I would have thought it was too small for the 76 mm ARMDC ?

I do not suppose you can find any markings on it anywhere ?

Either way thanks for the info and unless it is something made for a round of about the 40 mm calibre (it looks too modern) then good luck with the ID.

Keep looking !

Sorry we could not get to the core of the matter Tony but it is a bot odd with such a small thread.

The other item is vaguely familiar but from a very long time ago and I seem to recall a "cushion" packing for something delicate and very volatile-but cannot remember what it was-the shaped indent fits the item is all I can recall.

Just turned up a undamaged one now,so may be a bit more idable?

Cheers
Tony

P7040023.jpgP7040024.jpgP7040025.jpg
pencil.png

Well Tony it must be from "rifled" ordnance hence the left hand thread-but I am still baffled by the size of it (or lack of size) could it be for a 76mm ARMDC round ??
The 76mm ARMDC practice projectile I had was threaded M 12 LH !

Well,I stumbled upon the id of this item yesterday,I think I will let the photos do the 'talking':tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Tony
P7240015.jpgP7240017.jpg

Thanks to Spotter we have now identified the other item,the small plastic 'cup' fits on the base of the 14.5mm ranging/spotting round projectile.

Many thanks Spotter
Tony

P8100051.jpg