What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trench art shaving mirror

Can you give an accurate diameter of the shell(s) please, and case length. Are there any markings you can see on the shells, other than what you have shown in the photo (appears to be a star over a C*)?
R.

If the shell diameter is 26mm, the only thing I can come up with is the Vickers 1", but it's case is only 87mm. Maybe we need to see whats on the base of the case to get this id'd?

This is a 1" mark 5 aiming rifle case made by Elswick Ordnance Company in Newcastle some time before WW1. This type of cartridge was used with a chamber adaptor for target practise from large naval guns in order to save on ammunition cost. However, these projectiles are the wrong ones for the case. The aiming rifle rounds were loaded with a solid lead bullet. I believe the projectiles you have could be Italian, from 25.4mm Fiat-Revelli cartridges of WW1 vintage. The "LS" marking has an Italian look about it.

my guess would be the MkI special percussion markI round an EOC design of around 1915 or possibley a later mark for the Chilean navy, more info in Peter Labbetts book on british small arms ammo.

Zephyr4 forgot to mention I wiil be needing a shave soon so if you could please send me the mirror I would be eternally grateful.

That certainly would fit for the bullet, but the case headstamp would then be wrong, as that is deinitely a Mark V Electric case (although I have not seen the "E" suffix before, normally it is "KN" for the Kings Norton primer or "M" for the Morris Tube Co. primer). Presumably the "E" is Eley and not "Electric".

However, since we don't actually know what the headstamp was on the Chilean style rounds that we took into service who can say? Also, there is the problem that as this is trench art there is no guarantee that the correct projectiles have been put in the correct cases.

I have a lot of drawings of various 1" Aiming and Nordenfelt rounds but nothing matches these.

Regards
TonyE

Interesting thread. I used to own an identical projectile (no case)with the same stamping/profile/band etc to these years ago and never did find out what it was from. Can you get them out the cases and see if the groove on the projectile matches the crimp marks on the case, I suspect they won't.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

It looks like the projectile could be original to the case as the groove and crimp match perfectly there is also a letter A on the base of the projectile. I dont know if this means anything but I have noticed there are small flecks of yellow paint left in the star stamps.

7.jpg6.jpg

Last edited:
BRILLIANT, that's very promising.
I can't remember if mine had the "A" on the base but I recognise the turning style on the base.
Dave.

if it is the 1inch special it would have a percussion primer, be loaded with cordite (not necessarily marked C nor N if it is for export) and the bullet would have a yellow band below the shoulder when in British naval service and maybe export. E by the primer could be Elswick.