What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell Dated 1914

cjharpy

Hi Y'all! I am new here so I wanted to start off introducing myself.

I was hoping someone could help me out with this shell...
d2b04ad7-1.jpg

Markings Are: "1914" and "KN" which looks to be in a can.

Dimensions: internal 75.3mm, outside 78.46mm, Rim 89.89mm, Length 10.8 inches

Hi cjharpy,

Welcome to the site.

This case was made on contract by The King's Norton Metal Company, of Birmingham, England, most probably for export to a European country (although I do not know which one). It will be for one of the 75mm field guns much in use at that time. Presumably made just before the outbreak of the war, as after September 1914 KN would have been making ammo just for Britain, I imagine.

Regards,
Roger.

Hello, I have a case from the same Lot and also wonder which country bought these from Kings Norton? There are many countries in Europe or all other the world which used Krupp guns or Schneider equivalents where such cases would fit. I got my case with this Krupp primer, but I am not sure if it was original screwed in.

75x278R Kings Norton.jpg

The case is for the early 7,5 cm Krupp gun as used by many European countries, e.g. Belgium, Germany, Netherlands. Most KN cases I have seen are probably for Belgium, but a KN case with Krupp primer is a bit strange....