What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell case or ....?

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what this is? Dated 3/40, Calibre 45mm, length 235mm with markings as can be seen. Case neck has two cut outs at 180 degrees.

Thanks

D
mark1.jpgmark2.jpgmark3.jpg

The fact that the primer hole is still rounded from pressing makes me think it is an unfinished case although the two cut outs are odd.
A possible explanation for the two cutouts may be to do with the fact that it is already half headstamped and be something to do alignment in the die for further data stamping ?
A nice curio if nothing else.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. I do know that there at least three of these floating around all identical, so Chris I don't believe it is unfinished. The cut outs on the top are similar to some I've seen on a six pounder WW1 case, but never knew what they were for either. Is it possible it's something to do with a bag charge and a smaller primer fits into the primer pocket?

D

The reason I stated sub cal is because I recently found a set of 3 57 mm USA steel WW2 dated sub cal cases, that all have a (how to say this in English).......well, don't know. But I recognized the shape of the primer position. It has no screw but what you see in this case. According other collectors my case was adjusted, meaning the sub cal tub was removed and the primer position adjusted. Hope this makes any sense to you guys.....

The fact that the primer hole is still rounded from pressing makes me think it is an unfinished case although the two cut outs are odd.
A possible explanation for the two cutouts may be to do with the fact that it is already half headstamped and be something to do alignment in the die for further data stamping ?
A nice curio if nothing else.

As you say BD those cut outs may be something to do with holding a charge inside the case or perhaps they have the same use as some Naval cases do where there is a soft metal cap secured over the charge by "turning in" the centres of the cut outs???
Only more questions I am afraid and no real answers.
And you say there are three cases all the same - ummmm ?

Any chance of a close up of that primer hole/pocket please ?