What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian m1915 rifle grenade

paul the grenade

Hi all. Heres my latest find.
A very nice russian m1915 rifle grenade. Its a simple cast iron egg, 2 inches in diameter. It has a brass plug in the base threaded to take a rod and the nose fuze is a simple graze fuze.
The screw on the front of the fuze is marked in crylic "na16c"
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• russian 1915.jpg
    russian 1915.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
  • russian 1915 3.jpg
    russian 1915 3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 35
  • russian 1915 4.jpg
    russian 1915 4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 38
Paul, unfortunately the marking system was not standardized on many items during Czarist times.

The "16" is most likely the year of production but the other letters do not reflect anything I know from Russian fuzes of this period but that does not mean much.

Congratulations to this great item.

First off, the grenade pictured is a Guards Colonel V.I. Rdultovsky rifle grenade classed/named as “rifle grenade rev. 1915”. So, I am not sure why it is called a M1915 grenade. This was his ‘first’ version.
Colonel V.I. Rdultovsky then modified his grenade and that modification was accepted as the “rifle grenade 1915”. That later version would possible be classed as a M1915 grenade.

The markings on the fuse is ПА16С, which EDO indicates equates to either PA16S or PA16C.
This may indicate the manufacturing year 1916 or a factory making the fuse, i.e. ПА16С.

Both grenades are somewhat described here: