What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preserving undersea finds - Pallisers

tinhat

Premium Member
I have some pieces of Palliser shell found on the seabed. I have kept them immersed in fresh water for 12 months, but they are still cracking when they dry. Painting them with oil seems to delay the process. Is there anything else I can do?P9060029.jpg

All the big $$ underwater archeology projects I've been on used a several month electrolosis treatment on almost all artifacts. Sometimes switching from salt to fresh can accelerate deterioration. The ph/ alkalinity change is a huge factor. Some metals will start breaking down after even a brief exposure to salt water. do some research on-line about it. You can build an electrolysis set-up in your garage with an old aquarium tank

Iron objects out of the sea are always hard to preserve. I always put them in fresh (running) water may be a stream in you neighborhood.
This for a couple of months this to carry away the salts. Then I heath up the oven (my wife always likes this part) and put the object in it, after 45 minutes I put the heated object in boiled linseed oil. This works good for me but the outcome differs.