What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positive ID needed

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Found on my favourite beach last week - the first I have ever seen - among pieces of blown 117 and 119 fuzes and pieces of 25 Pr driving band but is definitely nothing to do with those. It had remains of metal around the round shaft but difficult to tell what amongst the other crud I removed. My wife thinks it could be a button while I thought it looked a bit like a cufflink, however I think it too heavy duty to be either. It is made of brass and has a large slot in the rounded surface. Other weapony used on that beach includes 5.5 In HE, 18 Pr HE, small practice aircraft bombs, 2 In, 3 In and 4.2 In mortar, 20 mm Hispano Suiza HE and Practice, 2 Pr, 6 Pr and 25 Pr AP shot, i.e. all types are WW2 although it may be that the beach was also used as a training area in WW1. I've had the item rattling around in my pocket with my keys to clean it. It is possible it was fitted with a spring, such that a screwdriver could be inserted in the slotted head, the item pushed into a recess and turned but that is just a guess. It has no markings or stampings.

P1090881.jpgP1090882.jpgP1090883.jpg

I was thinking camlock, also, but aircraft fixtures almost always in aluminum - that pesky weight restriction ruling out the use of brass in most cases

Agreed, aluminium is so much lighter and the thing I have, although small, is a chunky weight.