What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastic 5.56mm blank

Charlie

Staff member
Premium Member
Came accross these which i've never seen before. Can anyone shed any light on them? Pur a few through my AR and they are nowhere near as loud as a normal NATO brass blank!

C.

Hi, Black plastic blanks were the norm back in the 80's. They used to jam a lot and were a pain to use (I've never used the brass ones, but I can see why they were changed). Cheers

Plastic POP Brass Bang !

Charlie the plastic blanks are not as loud due to the lack of pressure the blank builds up before it "Blows" whereas the Brass cases allow that build up in pressure before the brass "gives" hence the difference in noise quality.

Plastic blanks including .50 cal perhaps?

Hi Charlie,

We used black plastic blanks in both 5.56 M16s and 7.62 SLRS in my time (see attached photos of plastic blank 7.62 that I have) in the New Zealand Army (part time territorial in 22(D) Bty, 16 Field Regt, Royal NZ Artillery) in the late 1970s /early 1980s.

I also have a red plastic .50 cal mg cartridge case that I picked up off the sand in a NZ (cold) desert training and live fire area. Whether this was a blank or what I don't know, but I presume it must have been, being made of plastic.

Attached Photos are

1. Black plastic 7.62 SLR blank that we used (with a BFA), next to a normal brass 7.62 case. We used very similar plastic blank 5.56 rounds in M16s.

2. Base of the plastic blank 7.62 round.

3. Red plastic .50 cal cartridge case (a blank do you think?)

4. Base of the red plastic .50 cal case (no stamp marks that I can see)

5. A spent .50 cal round (tracer perhaps from the mark on base?) and a spent 7.62 round both picked up from the sand of a NZ desert training and live fire area around 1980.

Attachments

• IMG_1942 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1942 - Copy.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1951 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1951 - Copy.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1947 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1947 - Copy.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1946 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1946 - Copy.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1948 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1948 - Copy.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 9
Morrie, your .50 case it part of a big plastic blank ,just like your 7.62 but a bit bigger and a bit louder :xd:...I have a complete one somewhere .
Regards
MG34NZ

Thanks for that MG. I'd always assumed the .50 case was a blank for the almost 30 years since I picked it up out in the desert area at Waiouru, but hadn't known for sure. Thanks for the confirmation (And Hi from another Kiwi).

That handful of cases and two spent bullets is about the extent of my tiny militaria collection, plus one 105mm brass HESH shell case that we fired on an anti tank live shoot, although I do still have my own RNZA beret, hat badge, stable belt, and a platoon commander's aide memoire that I was probably meant to return.

Actually, now that I think about it I also have my father's WW2 kitbag and a webbing bag that came back from North Africa with him, both still in remarkably good condition especially considering that one was was used a fishing tackle bag until the 1990s (the webbing bag) and the other to store pine cones in for the fireplace until 5 years ago (his kitbag).

Cheers,
Chris