What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old studded fuze query

SG500

Premium Member
I picked this up today. Don't have anything to weigh it on but I guess about 9 to 12 pounds in weight.
About 72mm calibre ish (its a bit pitted)
170mm long
Fuze pocket about 35mm diameter.
3 x rows of copper studs, total of 6 studs.
Presumably British? No markings
Can anyone advise what sort of fuze it would take please?
Thanks.
Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_5270.JPG
    IMG_5270.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5271.JPG
    IMG_5271.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
If you have a set of bathroom scales, put yourself on there first (don't get upset), then weigh yourself holding the proj. This should give a rough estimate. Is the fuze thread a tapered thread to suit the 1" GS fuze? Thanks, Ozzi.

If you have a set of bathroom scales, put yourself on there first (don't get upset), then weigh yourself holding the proj. This should give a rough estimate. Is the fuze thread a tapered thread to suit the 1" GS fuze? Thanks, Ozzi.
Hi just replaced the battery in the kitchen scales.
The weight of the projectile is 3068g which is 6.76 pounds, empty of course, so possibly a 9 pounder if full?
The fuze pocket is not tapered but straight.
Dave.

I think worldwide arms possibly had some of these a while back, and I think they were 9 pdrs, also had some long versions. I think they were for use in mountain guns They were found in India. But I may be wrong, usually am! Tig.

Hi just bumping this thread. Anyone know what fuze it takes please, tapered fuze pocket.
Thanks
Dave.

One of these I suspect.

FUZE, TIME AND PERCUSSION, SHORT, No.55 MkIII

You need a copy of David Ibbotson’s first book "Early British Artillery Fuses” and his “British Artillery Ammunition – Volume 1” & “British Artillery Ammunition – Volume 2”.

Attachments

• IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6055.JPG
    IMG_6055.JPG
    806.4 KB · Views: 18