What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd German 20X138B bullet.......

Lou

Ran into this little oddball hidden in a nice quiet online auction. Looks like someone added a US "or other" API to a nice copper washed 20X138B case???? Looks as if the two have been paired up for awhile,they both have the same"patina" pattern of light rust,but this cant be a German projectile,can it???

The tip is brass. Measures 90.60mm in height,19.73mm at the mid section and 20.95mm at the driving band. Any ideas???

P.S. Just got done with a careful light cleaning. Its a US projectile. I found stamped into the body "LOT" and some really light numbers. Oh well,live and learn.......

20mm German Finn Cz 003.jpg20mm German Finn Cz 008.jpg20mm German Finn Cz 005.jpg20mm German Finn Cz 004.jpg20mm German Finn Cz 006.jpg

pencil.png

Last edited:
Hi Lou
Afraid you havent uncovered a really great find but the case looks to me to be a drill/training one for the WWII German 2cm. From your pic it looks as though there are a ring of stamped lines around the case about 20 - 30mm from the head?
If this is so then this ring signifies it as a drill/training round. It would have probably had a wooden dummy proj installed.
Proj you have though still looks interesting - looks like vulcan but the taper is too steep?

The "ring" or "Rille" around the case indicates a reload as a blank with the wood bullet, not a drill round. The same thing is frequently seen on 7.92 Platzpatrone 33 blanks.

Regards
TonyE

Projectile looks like a "homemade" job to me as something about it that is not quiet right-other than that it is a nice item !

Thanks guys with the help,I appreciate it bunches. I had no clue that the case was a blank,dummy. I'll have to find me a wood bullet for it now.

And the projectile???? The ID isnt 100% on it yet. But it is for sure US. And looking to be a not so common 20mm.

Thanks again for sure,dont know what Id do sometimes without this site and your help,,,,,,,

Hi Lou,
If you do find a source for these wood projectiles please let me know mate as I have been after one for ages

Cheers
Tony

Good luck with the search for the wood proj`s.
I saw one recently here in Belgium but it was in a terrible condition. I know you`ve been looking for one Tony so I`ll keep my eyes open.

P.S. Just got done with a careful light cleaning. Its a US projectile. I found stamped into the body "LOT" and some really light numbers. Oh well,live and learn.......[/ATTACH]

It doesn't look like any 20mm projectile I'm familiar with - US or anything else. What's the weight?

Re proj
As Chris 42 says about it being a DIY one I was thinking along the lines of a Vulcan proj that has been turned down into a sharper tip?
Although the brass tip could undermine this theory? Certainly from base to just past the drive band looks very vulcan (not Spock!) to me.

Good luck with the search for the wood proj`s.
I saw one recently here in Belgium but it was in a terrible condition. I know you`ve been looking for one Tony so I`ll keep my eyes open.

Thanks mate,a terrible one would do for now!