What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ocean Relic;

• Thread starter John D. Bartleson Jr.
  • Start date
J

John D. Bartleson Jr.

To All,
Will someone make an I.D. on the item that washed ashore on the North Carolina coast. 3 inches in diameter, 11 inches long. contained powder.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Attachments

• Navel_Relic1.jpg
    Navel_Relic1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Navel_Relic2.jpg
    Navel_Relic2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Navel_Relic3.jpg
    Navel_Relic3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
Burnside carbine.jpgI am fairly sure you have a BURNSIDE CARBINE BULLET - A rare US bullet but you are spot in the right place for these to be found. See picture attached. WF Whoops just saw your dimentions 3 inches etc - jumped the gun a bit with these but they are rare little beauty's all the same.

War Face,
As you can see my relic has a wooden body and is 3 inches in diameter and 11 inches long, pretty big bullet but thank you anyway.
Regards,
John

John

I'm gonna guess it's a Civil War projectile for a rifled cannon, very likely Confederate. On some that I've seen the wood part was made of a bakelite type substance, or even paper mache. Parts are missing, such as a sabot on the bottom which would have engaged the rifleing. There should be some CW museums in your area that you could visit to find complete examples. Or maybe a museum historian could help.

Ray

Ray,
Thank you for your reply. We are beginning to believe that it is a practice shell of WWI or very early WWII. If you look carefully you will see a priming nipple underneath the metal nose cap. The young man who found it said that after it dried out there was black powder in the wooden body. There is no known Civil War artillery projectile that is constructed as this is. The Schenkl projectile had a paper mache sabot but it was made of cast iron. Some sabots were even made of gutta purcha, some even of wood, however all the shell bodies were cast iron.
Best Regards and thank you,
John aka Bart

John aka Bart

You are very likely correct. I know that the Confederates used every conceivable material in making projectiles because they didn't have the raw materials and foundaries for making iron and steel. They experimented with some finned or winged projectiles made of iron, lead, and wood that looked a lot like yours. Since yours was found off the NC coast I put two and two together and came up with five.; )

A very collectable relic, whatever it is.

Ray

Last edited:
Hi ,

Look at
'Signal ,drift,night AN-MK4' dia. 3" , total length 13" ,wooden body,metal fins
Dropped from aircraft as a drift marker.

cheers
Bob

Not the best quality ,but an idea of what the AN-MK4 drift signal looked like.anmk42.jpg
Also ,used during ww2 and dropped in the sea,so might have been bobboing about for a while!

Attachments

• anmk42.jpg
    anmk42.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 46
anmk4.jpg Not sure of the source as i only have a couple of pages, a flare or pyro manual maybe?

Is this a great site, or what! There's not a question that can be asked without someone having the answer.

Thanks to all you guys for the education. :)

Ray

Cheers Tony,
This view should make it easier to see more details. The signal is used to mark submarine initial contact point for surface observers. Emits flame and white smoke.
Regards,
John
Signal, Drift, Night, AN Mk.jpg

No worries ,happy to help.
The first time i saw one of these i thought someone had gone to a lot of trouble to make a small scale bomb,the originals are quite well crafted.

cheers
Bob