What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number 2 query

SG500

Premium Member
I was randomly looking on the web and came across this.
An interesting selection.
My query is regarding the number 2 on the left. Is that right? (The collar between the stick and the brass body of the grenade).
Dave.

Attachments

• No 2 query..jpg
    No 2 query..jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 69
  • No 2 query.jpg
    No 2 query.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 68
My query is regarding the number 2 on the left. Is that right? (The collar between the stick and the brass body of the grenade).
Dave.
On the face of it, it is not right. The "collar" is a range reducing disc used on the No.2 grenade used by the French Army with their 8mm Lebel. It appears that either some enthusiast in the past has taken a No.2 8mm rifle grenade body and rammed a hand grenade handle into its base plug, or perhaps it was a less well-known French field conversion of a rifle grenade to a hand grenade - in British service the No.2 RG was officially converted to the grenade, hand, No.2, Mk I (with long cane handle), and then the Mk II with short handle.

Tom.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I did wonder if there was a potential official or field conversion based purely on the quality of the other grenades that were for sale, but then "made up" items can creep into even the best collections.

Any thoughts on the Mills type grenade to the left of the Shinkle?

Dave.

The grenade to the left of the Shinkle looks like an experimental job, maybe not even British. I'll trawl a load of patent drawings when I get some time, but it does not immediately ring any bells with me.

Tom.

The grenade to the left of the Shinkle looks like an experimental job, maybe not even British. I'll trawl a load of patent drawings when I get some time, but it does not immediately ring any bells with me.

Tom.
Thanks Tom.
Anyone else got any ideas?
Dave.