What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 27 Fuze

Chris

Ordnance approved
Anybody has info on the No 27 Fuze for the 4 inch Trench Mortar ?

Regards Chris

Hi Chris,
No diagram. I only know it's a time fuze, converted No 65A with percussion device removed for trench mortar.
Found in France an Belgium.

A drawing, and description from relevant List of Changes paragraph

Attachments

• No.27.jpg
    No.27.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • No.27 MkI.jpg
    No.27 MkI.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 29
  • No.27 MkII.jpg
    No.27 MkII.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 28
Hi
Only have these few photos whose origin I do not know.
Nothing on the 4 inch mortar just a picture on a 2 inch toffe
jp

Attachments

• No27 b.jpg
    No27 b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 25
  • N°27-01.jpg
    N°27-01.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 24
  • N°27-02.jpg
    N°27-02.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 25
  • No27 a.jpg
    No27 a.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 19
This is the appropriate page from Dave Ibbetson’s excellent book ‘British Artillery Ammunition, vol. 4, Fuzes’

Attachments

• IMG_7578.jpeg
    IMG_7578.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Hi
Only have these few photos whose origin I do not know.
Nothing on the 4 inch mortar just a picture on a 2 inch toffe
jp
No.27-01.jpg also shows (at the bottom of the picture) a No.123 fuze - I still haven't found a drawing of this fuze, even though I have one in my collection and photos of it in my book. In addition there is some data on the No.123 in a "Confidential" List of Change - §18035 .

No.27-01.jpg also shows (at the bottom of the picture) a No.123 fuze - I still haven't found a drawing of this fuze, even though I have one in my collection and photos of it in my book. In addition there is some data on the No.123 in a "Confidential" List of Change - §18035 .
Hi Depotman
I am attaching the diagrams of the Vickers fuze fixed time (export) found in a Russian encyclopedia from "
V. I.Rdultovsky "Historical review of development time-fuzes and fuzes from the beginning of their use until the end of World War 1914-1918 (1940)"
as well as two extracts
cdlt
Jean Paul

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi Depotman
I am attaching the diagrams of the Vickers fuze fixed time (export) found in a Russian encyclopedia from "
V. I.Rdultovsky "Historical review of development time-fuzes and fuzes from the beginning of their use until the end of World War 1914-1918 (1940)"
as well as two extracts
cdlt
Jean Paul
Hello Jean Paul, Thank-you very much for showing a drawing of what I am sure is a British No. 123 fuze - the only one I have ever seen! Can I have your permission to use the drawing in various articles I may write for publication on the Ordnance Society's Journal or Newsletter?
Best wishes,
Trevor

Hello Jean Paul, Thank-you very much for showing a drawing of what I am sure is a British No. 123 fuze - the only one I have ever seen! Can I have your permission to use the drawing in various articles I may write for publication on the Ordnance Society's Journal or Newsletter?
Best wishes,
Trevor
I'm a little disturbed because I know the long fuze on the diagram as "Vickers delay fuze" (for 1.57" mortar) and the No 123 as a modified No 121 with a burster (also for 1.57in)
Need help to clarify.

Last edited:

Herewith the description of Fuze No.123 from List of Changes:

Attachments

• No123 Fuze.jpg
    No123 Fuze.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 11
Herewith the description of Fuze No.123 from List of Changes:
Thank you Snufkin. Very interesting document.
So, If I understand this document, the fuze (with 2 vertical powder channels) is designated No 123.

123.jpg

So, If I understand this document, the fuze (with 2 vertical powder channels) is designated No 123.
Yes - according to LoC the No.123 with gaine was deployed with the 1.57-inch Trench Howitzer bombs, 18-lb MkI and 33lb MkI.

The No.122 with gaine was deployed with the 18-lb MkII and 33-lb MkII. The No.122 for the Vickers TH bombs had a similar form to the No.121 shell fuze, both having 58 ratchet teeth on the upper outer edge of the bottom time ring to aid setting.