What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need ID of 6" Projectile

ordnance

Premium Member
I'm looking for some help identifying this projectile which was donated to the local museum. Sorry the photos are a bit blurry but that's all I have. The size seems to be a nominal 6" diameter. The actual diameter of the steel base of the round is about 5 7/8" and the segmented rotating band slightly over 6". We couldn't find a single mark anywhere on it. The rotating band parts seem to removable by unscrewing the base cap. The forward band is attached with several sets of brass flat head slotted screws that were finished off after assembly.

Any ideas from the group? I assumed it was probably a practice loading projectile for training purposes. Naval? Coast artillery? Field artillery? I thought the general configuration was probably 1880-WWI period but really don't know past that. Any help is appreciatedEOD Donation 001.jpgEOD Donation 004.jpgEOD Donation 002.jpgEOD Donation 003.jpg

Last edited:
By the length and shape, I'm guessing it at 6 inch 40 Cal, which was a separate loading round.

Oh sure,,,,,His blurry photos you can see,,, well,,,,

Im just kidding John!!!!

Nice door stop there Mr.R

OK, one more try for this question before it fades away unanswered. This projo is just over 6" in diameter so it might be a 6" Naval or a 155mm round.

One of the two most notable features is the segmented rotating band which appears to be removable or replaceable for maintenance by unscrewing the base plug.

The other odd feature is the forward brass band attached by sets of flat head slotted screws.

I haven't seen either of these features on other artillery projectiles seen over the years, but I'm a grenade guy. If nobody recognizes this specific projectile, how about other rounds with either of these unusual features present. Perhaps it might point us in the right direction.

This item came from an EOD unit that donated it to the museum after a number of years trying to identify it. I can understand how a vintage piece might be a bit elusive for a military unit more accustomed to more modern munitions. That's why it's the perfect item for the BOCN where there HAS to be someone who knows early artillery stuff like this. Thanks.

Rick

Rick,
several of trhe features look very similar to the training series of projectiles (as you mentioned) intended to be used in ramming the projectiles into the barrel. The forward band was soft enough to where the projo could be pulled back out afterward by means of a pole and a hook, the reason for the tapered hole in the base. The most common versions are in 8-inch and 155mm. I've also got one in 175mm. The newer versions also had a large coiled spring inside to reduce impact for the training gunners. As to this one specifically, I haven't seen it in my books. I'll try to send a picture of one of mine in a bit if I get some time. JO

Poor shot of the 175mm, the 155mm is better. Both of these have the same opening in the base as your 6-inch.

DSC_0026.jpg 155mm TNG a.jpg

Once I had a 5" drill which was of solid bronze and had a cut out in the base for the hook to extract.

I've got a 105mm in steel and brass that way as well.