What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need I.D Help

Hello, This is my first post. I recently found for the first time ever, some 20mm shells on the beach.

R.H 20mm 1943
H 20mm 1944
S.T 20mm 43

all of which are 110mm in length,
any help on what the R.H//H//S.T stand's for would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Hi Burkmister101
There is already a very good thread (old) for this question & as I cannot off the top of my head remember them all anyway here is the link.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/47631-British-20mm-manufacturers?highlight=20mm+headstamps
Try the `search` feature as there is a lot of info here & it is easy to go over old ground!
Iput the digi transmitters in at Louth (bloody big mast) & considered buying the old police station next to the pub?! (just an aside!).
I would be interested in an S.T case if you end up with a spare?
Welcome & good luck.

Sorry!
With Gunni - sound like 20 x110 Hispano cases.
Pics would be good as would be intrigued as to condition.
Google this & Wipkipedia has some good pics, but not all the facts. also youtube `20mm hispano` as some good footage of quad firing (I think post balkan)?!
if you`re interested

wow brilliant response, thanks alot hicky1300 and gunni! im going to do abit more research on them as im quite interested.
and will definately get some pictures up of them, i believe there in quite good condition but some are slightly bent on top of the neck, i believe ive read that they sometimes get damaged like that during the discharge?? will get in contact with you hicky1300 if i come across another S.T

Hi Burkmister101,

R.H. is Raleigh Cycles (as already stated), but
ST is ROF Steeton (which is up north, I think), not Seaton (which is Devon), and
H is Hall's Telephone Co., which I believe was at Dowlais, in South Wales.

Although "H" as a headstamp on rimfires is usually Winchester, that company never made 20mm Hispano rounds for the UK, as far as I know. On centrefire ammunition, their headstamp was WRA, or WRA Co.

Regards,
Roger.

thanks for your help roger. :)

im afraid cant pick the engravements up on the photos but here is the ST 43 20mm and the H 1944 20mm!!

SAM_2206.jpgSAM_2212.jpgSAM_2209.jpg

They look to be in excellent condition for beach finds ?

I've seen discarded kit that has only been on the beach for a few years and it looks an awful lot worse than your cases !