What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval case 1941

Dear all

Found this shell in France. The stamps are not completely readable. I came to a 4,5 inch hw, but can't find this type of cartridge.

Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2024-08-26 om 17.29.08_6a3b01f6.jpg

Not my field but believe this is shell for a British QF 4.7-inch naval gun; 'RL' is manufacturer the Royal Laboratory, I think? Am sure others here more knowledgeable than myself can confirm :)

Last edited:
WW_soldier, it would help greatly to assist your request if you could clean the bottom of the cart so that the markings can be clearly seen, also to supply an overall length or side view of the cart please? Regards Ozzi.

This is a 4.7" UK Navy case and should be 120 x 775R with a 154mm rim.
Mks 1X- 1X** X11 & X11* Guns. 3 holes are for the primer cover. Mk 11 case.

Nice case but needs a clean.

a very shallow dish with some CLR (Calcium, Lime,Rust) remover for about 2 hrs, take out & check every 15mins to check condition (remove if clean enough to read stampings) , neutralise in a shallow bath of hot water & carb soda x 3 times. Light rub over with fine/ish steel wool.

a very shallow dish with some CLR (Calcium, Lime,Rust) remover for about 2 hrs, take out & check every 15mins to check condition (remove if clean enough to read stampings) , neutralise in a shallow bath of hot water & carb soda x 3 times. Light rub over with fine/ish steel wool.
For those who are unsure, Sodium Bicarbonate & carb soda are the same thing in Australia. If unsure, Sodium Bicarbonate is used to neutralise acids! Thanks Ron.