What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Grenade ID please

AndyD

I've had this kicking around for a while now and never got round to identifying the model.
Could anyone tell me from the pics which model it is please?

Cheers,
AndyGREN 1.jpgGREN 2.jpgGREN 3.jpg

It's either a No5 or a No23 . Impossible to tell without the missing parts as the bodies are basically the same for both . Nice looking item , though.

I'm guessing it was done a while ago as it looks like the old large pennies fit.
Don't know if I should buy the bits to make it complete,or move it on.

Its a good body so would make a nice restoration.black miliput would fill the slot quite nicely .but theres not many money boxes made from mills compared to whole ones .

I'm guessing it was done a while ago as it looks like the old large pennies fit.
Don't know if I should buy the bits to make it complete,or move it on.

Andy

These unfinished Mills No 5 / 23 bodies were sold off as scrap from 1919 onwards. Many were made into money boxes, others were made into inkwells and were fixed to a black marble like stand. So this probably was converted in the early 1920's. They had a pressed tin base that pushed into the baseplug hole.

John

Last edited:
The registered design (No. 651542) for the ink well/paperweight memento was lodged in 1915 and that (No. 655472) for the money box in 1916. Someone must have had some foresight as to what they might do with surplus munitions when hostilities ended.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC06402.jpg
    DSC06402.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC06401.jpg
    DSC06401.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC06400.jpg
    DSC06400.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC06399.jpg
    DSC06399.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 54
The registered design (No. 651542) for the ink well/paperweight memento was lodged in 1915 and that (No. 655472) for the money box in 1916. Someone must have had some foresight as to what they might do with surplus munitions when hostilities ended.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, Amazing update! Barely off the secret list and into the novelty market!

John