What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kynoch 50 cal case

smle2009

Hi to all,
I picked up this 50 cal case yesterday,headstamp K .50,with a black line across the head,does anyone know the meaning of the black line? it was not a 'one off' as there was a big box full of them

Cheers
Tony

P6120006.jpg

It is not possible to say, since it was obviously a trial batch for something and the meaning of that particular marking has probably been lost in the mists of time. It could have been a cap test, powder, bullet, tracer, anything. Unfortunately, these sort of test markings are only recorded by the ballistics people at the time and once the test is finished are of little further interest. Kynoch tended to use bullet tip colours and case head stripes like yours, whilst Enfield and RG often used coloured paint spots on the case head and coloured rings around the bullet. I am sure you must have several examples of these kinds of markings.

One point of interest is that Kynoch usually used ".50" in their headstamps to denote calibre, whereas yours is ".5". I don't think I have seen that on a Browning case before, and would be interested in getting one.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
That has to be some experimental item as Tony states the headstamp is "odd" and the primer has no securing method applied to it-really nice find !

I have 2 Kynoch .50 cases. Both Stencilled `PROOF` with the marker pen line across the head. One has split , bellowed & the head is very badly deformed. Almost looks like it has fired before being fully chambered?? Thses cams from a guys whose dad used to do Quality Assurance for the MOD with regards to Ordnance.
Rummaging thru the rest of my spare brass as sure I have a K .5 one!!
Unable to post pics as still not uploading??!!

It is not possible to say, since it was obviously a trial batch for something and the meaning of that particular marking has probably been lost in the mists of time. It could have been a cap test, powder, bullet, tracer, anything. Unfortunately, these sort of test markings are only recorded by the ballistics people at the time and once the test is finished are of little further interest. Kynoch tended to use bullet tip colours and case head stripes like yours, whilst Enfield and RG often used coloured paint spots on the case head and coloured rings around the bullet. I am sure you must have several examples of these kinds of markings.

One point of interest is that Kynoch usually used ".50" in their headstamps to denote calibre, whereas yours is ".5". I don't think I have seen that on a Browning case before, and would be interested in getting one.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
many thanks,I do have that German 7.62 proof round with the four dabs of paint on the head that you gave me and a 7.62 RG round with a purple bullet tip.
Will do mate,only a spent case I'm afraid

Cheers
Tony