What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korean War Bullet and Cartridge ID Help

Corea

I visited a small hill during the week and unexpectedly found some foxholes. I found a couple of bullets and cartridges but could do with some help with the ID.

Firstly, I have here a bullet that I really have no idea about:
SS856783.jpg
It is the bullet on the left. Placed next to an American .30-06 AP bullet.
Diameter of 8.1mm (possibly due to corrosion).
Length of 37.15mm.
It also has 4 land and grooves with a right hand twist.

Secondly, I have a smaller, rounded bullet:
SS856776.jpg
Diameter of 7.75mm.
Length of 22.4mm.
I believe it could be either a) 7.62x25 Tokarev for a Shpagin PPSh 41
or b) .30 Carbine bullet for M! Carbine.
Again 4 land and grooves with a right hand twist.

Third is a Korean cartridge ?:
SS856778.jpg
SS856777.jpg
Internal neck diameter of 5.75mm
Length of 44.65mm
Head stamp PS 7 -(?) : Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company Ltd., Seoul, Republic of Korea.

Fouth is an American cartridge:
SS856779.jpg
SS856782.jpg
Cartridge on left, pictured with .30-06 cartridge.
Internal neck diameter of 3.6mm.
Length of 66.75mm
Head stamp of LC 61: Lake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO
Is it a blank?

Any help to ID these items would be greatly appreciated. The bullets are a real mystery.

Hi Corea,
not much help to you I'm afraid other than to confirm that the last cartridge is indeed a blank

Tony

I think the left hand bullet in the first picture is probably a Russian/Chinese 7.62 x 54mm, and if so is an API. Is there the remains of a tip colour? It could be a .303 British, but I don't think so.

Second picture is as you thought, an American M1 carbine bullet.

Third is a Korean made 5.56 x 45mm case made by Poongsan.

Fourth is a U.S. made 7.62 x 51mm NATO M82 Blank.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the help.

The first bullet: I can't see any colour, it is just corrosion I believe.

The second bullet: I was hoping for it to be the Russian burp gun, but an M1 Carbine is great too.

The American casing is post-war, so I guess the US military must have done some exercises in the hills during the 60's.

A couple of questions:

1) What is the length of a .303 bullet? I have been searching as best I could, but can't seem to find the lengths of bullets in mm. Is there a site I am missing?

2) The Korean casing, would this be for hunting or military use?

3) The US cartridge, Could it also have been used in the M14?

Great to research these items, I have found some more today whilst out in the hills. It seems quite tricky trying to ID bullets!

Thanks again

Last edited:
There is no site that I know of that provides bullet lengths. However, I am building a site for British military SAA and that will have bullet lengths, but it is some way from being in a state to go live!

The lengths of .303 inch bullets that you are likely to find in Korea are the Ball Mark 7 (flat based) 31.8 - 32.8mm, Tha Ball Mark 8z (boat-tailed) 34.5mm, Tracer G Mark 2z 35.3 - 37mm and the G Mark 8 37.3mm (although this is easily recognisable by the blunter bullet ogive).

The Korean case will be a military loading. Generally, if there is a date in the headstamp it is a military round, and yes, the calibre of the M14 rifle was 7.62mm and so the blank could have been fired in that.

Regards
TonyE

TonyE: So much information, I'm learning a lot. I was out yesterday at Imjin and found some boat tail bullet fragments. They have 5 left hand twits land and groove marks, so they must be the Mark 8 variety. I also found some cartridge casings that are stamped VII, but no cartridges with VIII yet.

I also found some 9mm parabellum rounds that I believed were used for the British Sten gun.

Great site and great advice. Cheers.