What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 75/18 Shrapnel.

pajarito

Ordnance approved
Hi there. Can anyone help me identify this italian 75/18/27 projectile?

I see the red stripe and the A.D.E. fuze, so I assume it's a shrapnel one. It will be destroyed, so this is just for identification.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 865a04fa-500c-4cca-9cde-f520e616a710.jpg
    865a04fa-500c-4cca-9cde-f520e616a710.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 74
Hi,
Your picture seems distorted.
Yes looks like an Italian 75 shrapnel (I assume fired in spain during civil war).
In France sometimes we find the same but with markings 75/13/27 (for guns 75/13 and 75/27). I assume 75/18 gun is not very common.
Maybe Fert could help.

I think it's the same (I can read 18/27 on the picture) here :

Last edited:
Thank you.

This is the only photo I have, sorry. It's indeed from the Spanish Civil War and it's very rare as there were only two 75/18 mod. 35 experimental howitzers.

In any case, it's the first Italian shrapnel we see in the area with the shape of mod. 32. HE.

Thanks for posting Pajarito,
I am surprised that the paint is in such a good condition after such a long time laying outside in all weather conditions.
LEAFLET

I think someone put it there. I doubt it will still have the paint after 90 years. Although it is true that the cold and dry climate of that zone preserves metals very well.

I think someone put it there. I doubt it will still have the paint after 90 years. Although it is true that the cold and dry climate of that zone preserves metals very well.
I disagree. Italian rounds often have paint intact after 70 or 80 years. We’ve seen many examples with paint and markings at recovery sites.

Source of basic data :
View attachment 197663
Akon
There's a online viewable version of the document Akon posted pages from, which is linked below.

The file is non-downloadable, but there are tools that can download, or convert the viewable images to a non-OCR'ed PDF. Though I am not advocating that you do this...

I can also convert the non-OCR'ed PDF to an OCR'ed searchable version, but it takes a lot of time to convert correctly.

Last edited:
Hello,
I think it’s a standards shrapnel refurbished in 1933 By DAB, Direzione Arriglieria Bologna.
In 1933 75/18 wasn’t, still adopted.
Marking definitely 75/13/27
These shrapnel was ww1 refurbished in 20’s and 30’s

About shape I think just a photo angle.

Some pics

IMG_9448.jpeg
In this pic Ripr. means restored, with new explosive
IMG_9449.jpeg

IMG_9450.jpeg
All the best