What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

interesting aden round

harley

Premium Member
Heres an interesting aden round
stenciling reads BMR51 66 EP mk 2z bmarco 1966 type 2z projectile
sintered steel driving band
only case markings are 30mm rg 64
anyone got any ideas
experimental?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Heres an interesting aden round
stenciling reads BMR51 66 EP mk 2z bmarco 1966 type 2z projectile
sintered steel driving band
only case markings are 30mm rg 64
anyone got any ideas
experimental?

Hi, in Labbetts book on page 20 there is listed a Practice Mark 2.z with HV case. Alloy plug. Weight of shell 219 grams. OV at 90 ft 2560 feet/second.
Its listed in the "30mm Aden cartridges approved for service" table.
Dave.

Cheers dave why does it have a steel driving band and no markings on the case rim?

Experimental

Cheers dave why does it have a steel driving band and no markings on the case rim?

No case markings indicate a case taken off the production line for usually experimental use with special loadings/projectiles etc.

This would fit in nicely with the fact that your ADEN Practice mark 2Z is an nice experimental example of a "sintered Iron" band which as far as I know never entered service.
Some quantity was manufactured by RG and BMARco but again very little info available.

Nice item and very collectable-yes Charlie a lot of folks collect ADEN as they are pretty plentiful out there!
Thanks for showing us Harley!

thanks Chris for the info, learnt something new about experimental steel driving bands

Hi Harley,
Here are my few,
1) 4Z practice
2) A/P
3) same with cap removed
4) LV A/P?
5) not strictly a Aden but a L/W(Alloy case) M788 practice,I suspect the projectile is an Aden!

I'm sure Daves(SG500) collection will put these to shame

All the best
Tony

Attachments

• P2020001.JPG
    P2020001.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P2020002.JPG
    P2020002.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P2020003.JPG
    P2020003.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 25
  • P2020004.JPG
    P2020004.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P2020005.JPG
    P2020005.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 25
thanks smle2009 very nice i like the ap round with the penetrator inact. Yes i think daves collection of adens puts ever bodies to shame , hes the main man the guru lol. he has stuff in his collection most of us can only drool about.

Last edited:
Hi harley,
Thanks for you kind comments,re the A/P Aden,the little tags that hold the penetrator in situ have been removed so that it is not permently fixed to the projectile and can no longer be used for it's intended purpose ect ect blah blah.....:tinysmile_twink_t:

Cheers
Tony

Any AP projectile with a driving band is apparently fine anyway and doesn't need to be inerted.

I was under the impresston that any ap round was section five falcon, i wish some one could clarify these things once and for all. I have an ap aden , defa and a few other rounds intact would like to know im not breaking the law

I was under the impresston that any ap round was section five falcon, i wish some one could clarify these things once and for all. I have an ap aden , defa and a few other rounds intact would like to know im not breaking the law

Harley the way I understand it is that a round without a "jacket" and with a conventional driving band does not fall within section 5 of the act.
The items it is designed to remove from circulation are Hollow points Armour piercing bullets with a jacket - ie 55 Boys/50 cal and any that have a core inside a soft jacket where the jacket is the bit that gets rifled!

Thank very much for clearing that up for me Chris , the last thing i want is old pc plod at the door.