What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification needed on a 76mm Dummy training round??

JohnR

Hello everyone

Long time since i posted.

Can anyone identify this piece?
It has an overall lengt of 865mm, the caliber must be 76mm and the case lenght is +-580 mm.
It has a non detachable head made of solid copper, which is marked: 76mm SUB/M41 .22
At the bottom it is marked the same.
the bottom unscrews revealing a long steel tube, that appears to be a 6mm barrel.
Was this a kind of training round? any information would be appreciated

IMG_6682.jpgIMG_6683.jpgIMG_6684.JPGIMG_6685.jpgIMG_6686.JPGIMG_6690.JPGIMG_6691.JPGIMG_6693.jpg

It looks like a 76mm round for a Walker Bulldog Tank.

The round is interesting in that the driving band is inside the shell case.

Your round appears to be a .22 subcalibre training round. It enables a .22 round to be fired from the 76mm gun.

The Tank was in service with the Belgian Army.

thank you for your response
What age would you give this piece? I've red that some M41 are still in service; would that mean that this drill round is still used?
could this be described as rare or is it quite common as a training round?

thanks

John

John,

This is not a drill round, it is a subcalibre training round.

The difference is important. In the UK it would be considered a section 1 firearm and subject to licensing like a rifle.

You should be able to date it from the proof marks in picture 6. The mark above the ELG symbol should be the date of proof. i cannot make it out from your pictures.