What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID request: two old projectiles (75mm and 85mm) Japanese/Russian/British/...?

ogreve

Hi guys,

Well, from my Japanese source I again have the option of acquiring some old projectiles (3 in total this time).
Subject of this ID request are two projectiles of which one is very likely to be Japanese (old!) and the other one possibly also, but it could also very well have been manufactured in a different country. The four candidate countries that are most likely then are the UK, Germany, Russia and China.

The smallest of the two features a character that is described as being a name; quite possibly this is a true Inspector's mark. The projectile has an odd shape, looking distinctly old to me. The given dimensions are:
Length: 13cm
Diameter: 7.5cm

The taller one looks like a more recent one to me. It seems to have white paint, quite possibly original. The Japanese Navy used to have white painted projectiles (with a green tip) in the old days. The projectile has the number "3731" stamped into it. No other markings have been mentioned. The given dimensions are:
Length: 24.5cm
Diameter: 8.5cm

Cheers,
Olafo

unknown_75mm_and_85mm_projectiles_1.jpgunknown_75mm_and_85mm_projectiles_3.jpgunknown_75mm_and_85mm_projectiles_2.jpg

the yellow shell is a 8,8 cm Sprenggranate L2,8 from the german navy S.K. L/30's I think. Color looks pretty much original. I wonder if it is inert, if yes than it's a nice piece...

Hi,

Thanks guys!
That doesn't sound half bad...!
One question regarding what Alpini wrote: how can I tell if it is inert or not? I'm not familiar with this kind of projectile but from the pictures it doesn't look like there is a nose fuze, but then, the base also doesn't look fuzed. Does anyone have some drawings or pictures of this kind of projectile?
It will be difficult getting proper details by asking if it's inert, so if something can be told by pictures alone, that would be a big plus...

Cheers,
Olafoa

neither the base nor the cap looks like someone opened it during the last 20 years, thats why I have some doubt.

Attachments

• german shells 127.jpg
    german shells 127.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 53
Great stuff, thanks!
I agree: the ID looks correct!
Nice to see it identified so quickly. :)
As for it being inert or not. Really the seller would have to either know or check, but... can this be screwed open safely, or is that in itself already a dangerous act?

Cheers,
Olafo

Any interaction with a live munition is potentially a dangerous act. If you don't know that it is inert you assume that it is live - unless you are a professional and have the training, equipment, area and authorization to check and determine otherwise.

Hi Jeff,

Well... yes, your answer is fair enough of course...
What I rather meant was to ask if it can easily be unscrewed (by hand force, without tools), as one does when buying an HE projectile at a fair to make very sure it is empty indeed. As mentioned, you're right of course. The seller mentioned something about him having had it for a long time. I shall simply ask if he knows whether it is inert or not and if he knows it (used to) open and is indeed verifiable to be fully FFE. If the answer to any of the above is negative, I'll have to take a raincheck on it anyway, as there's no way on earth I would have it sent in the mail without being 100% certain it's fully inert.

Cheers,
Olafo