What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID request: Old British 12Pr APHE projectile? (possibly manufactured for Japan)

ogreve

Hi,

I find myself in the position of acquiring a decent quantity of larger calibre projectiles from Japan. Most of them are early ones, roughly from the period 1900 - 1918. They are located in Japan, and as some of you will know, not quite everything encountered over there is of Japanese manufacture.
I have managed to ID everything, except for four projectiles. This is one of them. It looks like nothing Japanese that I have documentation on, which would be the stuff used by Japan in (mainly) the later Showa era.

Last of the lot: I think this projectile will be the easiest one to ID, due to the markings. Here's what I know and suspect: the projectile seems to have a calibre of 76.2mm, or something close to that. The length seems to be close to 300mm. The shape of it, combined with the opening at the bottom for a base fuze, would make it an APHE one, and the markings very strongly suggest to me that it is of British manufacture.
The nose of the projectile has markings that seem to read: "16/8/1901", I have seen many British manufactured 47x131R casings with date stamps like "8/1901" (i.e. August 1901) on the head, so I very strongly suspect this projectile was marked with a complete date, i.e. August 16th, 1901.
Apart from these markings, there are quite a few markings in the side of the projectile. Unfortunately in none of the pictures they can be made out completely beyond a doubt, but the top row seems to have something like: "Q F" (= "Quick Fire", possibly ????), the second row seems to possibly be "12 Pr V", the "12" is pretty clear, same for the "V". I'm guessing it to represent "12 Pr mark V", but again, not certain... The third row seems to be "C S" and there seems to be a 4th row, with only a "K".
I looked and asked for a broad arrow, but saw none (and was also not informed of the presence of one). The Japanese did use the 12Pr calibre. I have seen at least one casing that was Japanese manufactured at Kure, in Meiji 43 (= 1910). From the dates I've seen on Japanese early Navy casings, it appears that the Japanese used British manufactured casings somewhere up to at least 1901, and that they started to appear as Japanese manufacture (all seen ones made at Kure) as of roughly 1910. I don't have details on the period in between, and it will take many more headstamps to properly guesstimate this well. 1901 would at least match with my suspicions of possible British manufacture for Japan...

The questions:

1-Can anyone ID it for me?
2-British 12Pr? Marked for export?
3-Does anyone have any idea what the value of this might be? If I buy it, it will come with a pretty hefty price tag (item + shipping costs from Japan are expensive).
4-If not Japanese used: Is anyone particularly interested in it?

Thanks in advance and cheers,
Olafo

IMGP5548_bocn.jpg

IMGP4946_bocn.jpgIMGP5551_bocn.jpgIMGP4941_bocn.jpgIMGP4944_bocn.jpgIMGP5553_bocn.jpgIMGP5547_bocn.jpgIMGP5552_bocn.jpgIMGP4939_bocn.jpgIMGP4945_bocn.jpgIMGP4943_with_text_bocn.jpgIMGP5550_bocn.jpgIMGP5556_bocn.jpgIMGP5555_bocn.jpgIMGP5554_bocn.jpgIMGP4945_with_text_bocn.jpgIMGP4940_bocn.jpg

Hi Olafo,

The markings look British, and, if so, the "C S" would stand for "Cast Steel". The "K" could be for Kynoch; I know they made cartridge casings, but do not know if they actually made shells, although I see no reason why they wouldn't. Shame it's lost its driving band!

Roger.

markings would lead one to think 12pr but the missing band seems wider than normal for 12pr. Length is about right. The dent wont come out but could be ground away to make the fuze cavity round and the outside dia. filled. the stamping seems very deep but this could be how it is. It is a geniune common pinted shell from around 1900, its not much earlier or it would have a smaller fuze hole (if 12pr). If I saw it for sale I'd get it and do the restoration 'cos thats what I'm into but although shells like this are hard to find I wouldn't pay much for it but then I'm also a bit tight with money.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!
From what I gather, chances are good that indeed this is a 12Pr projectile, manufactured for export. I do know for a fact that the Japanese used the 12Pr calibre. I'm not certain when they exactly started using it, but a friend of mine has a Japanese manufactured (Kure) 12Pr casing that looks just about identical to the British ones, including the odd three tabs to hold the lid, and that is date-stamped "Meiji 43" (= 1910). It is very, very likely that in earlier years all ammunition was acquired from Britain. It would be a good possibility then that this projectile was indeed manufactured for a Japanese contract, especially if you say that it has markings that are not typical British style for their own usage.

Alright, I'll see what the expected "financial damage" on this one will be... It might be of interest then!

Cheers,
Olafo