What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID of a fuse / fuze plug or adapter???

josephus

I'm an archivist at a Canadian provincial archives and we have a small number of artifacts that are my responsibility. Some of them have come to us up to over 60 years ago and while we track our "archival" accessions, sometimes the documentation of the artifacts is limited because they weren't offically part of the archival collection.

Several are military in nature (including a V.C. and a WWI Canadian military nurses uniform). I have one item I don't know much about. When I queried the Canadian War Museum last year, I was handed on to one of their staff but have never gotten a reply even after a couple of follow up contacts.

From my research since then, I believe the item in question is a fuse hole plug and/or fuse adapter. Can anyone confirm this and provide further details about it (or provide an alternate identification)?

The total size of the item is ca. 9.3 cm high and 11.5 cm in diameter. It seems to be comprised of two pieces - (A) a truncated conical section with a base threaded on the exterior and threaded on the interior on the top into which (B), a cap, is screwed tight. "No 1" and "MB" are stamped/cast into (B). Into the side of (A) is stamped what appears to be the British Ordnance broad arrow however it's a little different than most variants I'm familiar with, with the head of the arrow enclosed by the open end of a "V" shape. (A) also has two holes drilled into the side ca. 1.0 cm and 0.7 cm in diameter and about 1.5cm deep.

See photos

thanks

Joe LeClair

Attachments

• Top down.jpg
    Top down.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Arrow detail.jpg
    Arrow detail.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Oblique bottom.jpg
    Oblique bottom.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Oblique top - 2.jpg
    Oblique top - 2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
the No. 1 bit looks like a WWI transit plug to go in a std British 2in thread and the other piece I think is an adaptor from a shrapnel shell but dont know which.