What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for AP 20(?)mm projectile

timefuze

Hey there,

I recently found a rusty bullet that is little smaller than a normal 20mm AP one for Hispano or Oerlikon. See picture please.
The diameter at the 'driving band' is approx 20mm, the body itself has a dia of approx 17mm. Overall lenght is 62mm. For comparison a standard .50 cal bullet is put next to it in the picture.
At the bottom of the projectile it seems like there's a burnt tracer element inside (not visible in the picture).

DSCF6087.jpg

Can someone ID this bullet for me please? Is it indeed a bullet or is it the hard metal core of a bigger AP projectile maybe?

Thanks for any hint!

Best regards,

timefuze

Haido,

Below some more close-up pictures. I cannot clean it up further, because then the acid that I use to clean rusty parts eats away the base material. All the rust is eaten away.

Brgds,

TimefuzeDSCF6108.jpgDSCF6109.jpg

Hi Timefuze,
it does look to me to be to be a A/P core out of something larger,compared to the photo of the 50 cal core they do share a similarity with the 'machined' grooves,which I presume is to aid a better grip while encased in the lead of the bullet,if so this would suggest you are looking for a jacketed AP-T or AP-I projectile to it's origins....I'm afraid I do not recognize your 'core'.

All the best
Tony

P8260005.jpg

Last edited:
Just stabbing at a guess. Could be the core from a German 28/20mm PzB41. I think they had a tungsten projectile on these squeezebores but there were shortages of tungsten also. The length however seems correct at 62mm. Maybe someone has an example to compare ?
Cheers, SHAKY

The Hotchkiss cores are tapered to fit the boat tail design, no ? I first thought the Hotckiss too and then looked at the PzB41 projos and they looked a bit closer.

PzB41 Tungsten core has a cylindrical body without any grooves, no boat tail and has a point nose like in the first picture.

Thanks, Hasag!

Comparing your picture with the real rusty object gives a good match.
What appears to be a driving band on my projectile, is indeed around 20mm in diameter.
The fuze is corroded away / blown apart on my projectile.

Best regards,

timefuze